How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Re: 11-Rack "Live" to a PA???

Yo Muudrock......

I've always been a little eq shy due to lack of knowledge, but this makes sense & I will give it a try just as you have discribed here..........

I would love to be able to make the 11R sound even better if that's possible........& yes....I would like to check out a Rig that you've dialed in this way as well when you have the time......

I do have a question though.....& I hope that this makes sense....

Since Digi took some great (Real) amps and coppied them pretty much spot on why do they produce all these extra freq now? Wouldn't the cab modeling STOP these freq's from coming through since they modeled REAL cabs as well? & they modeled guitar speaker cabs not FRFR cabs or speakers......So wouldn't these cab models NOT produce said freq's at all in the 1st place?

It just seems that these freq's just shouldn't be there at all in my mind.....but my mind is pretty jacked-up....So that may be the problem....

Maybe this is just the way it is & i should just except it.....lol

Thx again!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Keep in mind that while guitar speakers generally put out a small part of the frequency spectrum, the enclosure (cab size, internal design, baffle shape, material density etc) contributes significantly to the end result. In addition, mic selection and positioning also drastically affect the tone, so take all those factors into consideration when setting up your patches!

If you want to get more familiar with Parametric EQ, load up a finished song into ProTools and bring up the EQ III and play around boosting/cutting all around. You will find that certain instruments generally 'live' in different frequency ranges. The GUI in the plugin will help you visualize the changes you're making..and while you should obviously using your ears to figure out what you like and what works, I personally find that having visual feedback helps internalize everything for when you're away from the screen.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Keep in mind that while guitar speakers generally put out a small part of the frequency spectrum, the enclosure (cab size, internal design, baffle shape, material density etc) contributes significantly to the end result. In addition, mic selection and positioning also drastically affect the tone, so take all those factors into consideration when setting up your patches!

If you want to get more familiar with Parametric EQ, load up a finished song into ProTools and bring up the EQ III and play around boosting/cutting all around. You will find that certain instruments generally 'live' in different frequency ranges. The GUI in the plugin will help you visualize the changes you're making..and while you should obviously using your ears to figure out what you like and what works, I personally find that having visual feedback helps internalize everything for when you're away from the screen.
Thx Derker.....More great tips......& I have been trying a lot of this stuff out w/ the Rigs I made for the Kensington gig at home now that I finally have some time........

I did notice something & maybe more "Live" 11R users can chime-in......

The Tunner?

So I set it up to be a button on my GCP & it did work.......Well........You had to be able to see the fron of the 11R's little orange screen, but it did work....

but.......There was a small problem.......It seemed to mute all the amp & fx.......but didn't seem to mute the input signal or what I mean to say is that it wasen't silent......Luckly they always muted all inputs at the mixer so I was able to tune w/ no audible sound......

But....Had this been at a cover gig I would NOT have been able to tune w/ the 11R tunner between songs if needed......Well........Unless I'm missing something......

So.....It would be cool if it was totally muted & I could see it on the GCP read-out, but I don't think that either of those are possible..(Are they?)...

C ya.........
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
I don't think that either of those are possible..(Are they?)...
Thankfully, one of those is possible, but like I wish both were!! (ideascale!)
So yes, you can mute the outputs when the tuner is active.
I don't have the 11r in front of me, but I think I can recall this being available from the tuner page, with the sw1 or sw2 switch.
Eleven Rack + ERXP
Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
So wouldn't these cab models NOT produce said freq's at all in the 1st place?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too!
Although, like it's been mentioned, the mics sims might have something to do with it...

A global parametric or semi parametric EQ on the 11r would be priceless IMHO.
Eleven Rack + ERXP
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
Thankfully, one of those is possible, but like I wish both were!! (ideascale!)
So yes, you can mute the outputs when the tuner is active.
I don't have the 11r in front of me, but I think I can recall this being available from the tuner page, with the sw1 or sw2 switch.
Thank you Badcard......

I'm going to look into this.......& if this is the only 1 of the 2-things that can be fixed then I'm totally fine w/ that......I would always want my 11R close at hand on stage in case I needed to make a change to a tone or effect anyways. Seeing the tunner was not the BIG issue, it was the muted signal or sound.......
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 AM

I'd really like to see support for pedalboards (e.g. the Roland FC300) that can display a tuner...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
I'd really like to see support for pedalboards (e.g. the Roland FC300) that can display a tuner...
You and me both!
Eleven Rack + ERXP
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM

I run all my rigs in stereo but still run out the left XLR direct to the mixer. To my ears it still sounds better than mono rig. Am I the only one?