Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re Installing Windows XP and Pro Tools

I have had my Pro Tools HD Accel system for just over a year now, and I notice that the system has gradually grown slower and slower.

I am considering a reformat of the C: drive followed up by a complete re-install of XP and Pro Tools.

Would it be feasable to copy my entire Pro Tools 6.9 program directories to an external Hard Drive, reformat, install XP, install my original Pro Tools 6 software to generate the necessary registry enteries, then copy my Pro Tools 6.9 directories over the top of the fresh install? This would eliminate alot of re-running all the updates sequentially.

If this does not work, I know my original purchase included Pro Tools 5.x discs. I also have every update on CD since then. What is the easiest way to install and get back to 6.91?

Anyone have any better ideas?

Kyle

Home of the 2004 NBA Champion Detroit Pistons
Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Re Installing Windows XP and Pro Tools

Personally, I would install OS, extra drivers and such, update OS.
Make an image of that (Norton Ghost, whatever...)
Install 6.7, then 6.9 (latest version/CS).
Run it, verify install solid.
Tweak, testing after each tweak.
Install plugins.
Test.
Finally, second image.
Burn images to DVD-RW. OS plus PT plus plugs should not exceed 4G. If impulses or such are used with plugin(s), I would save installing extra impulses and such until after final image is made- dont need em (technically), so smaller image would be easier IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM

I read just about every single post here a couple of months ago when I was building my XP PT system and I recall reading about people that had your exact problem. The general consensus was that this was caused by a severely fragmented pagefile and their computers were of the same age as yours. So their solution was to:

- Eliminate the pagefile. But this requires enough RAM to pull off, maybe 2 gigs minimum. This was my choice when I built my system.

- Delete the pagefile and defrag the computer. Then reenable the pagefile when the defrag is complete.

Here is how to disable the pagefile: Start-Settings-Control Panel-System-Advanced Tab-Performance Settings Button-Advanced Tab-Virtual Memory Change button-Check "No paging file" and click Set button.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 AM

If pagefile is a possibility, you may also try this...
I like to create a partition on the main drive, make it 2G in size, and do so with a "fresh" drive.
I set my pagefile on this partition, and ONLY have the pagefle there. No fragmentation probs, no probs period.

Pagefile experiments abound...and it comes down to trial and error.
I suggest trying 1024 if one has 1 or 2G, and then try 512. If only 512M ram, try 2048. Then try running with it disabled.

I had assumed you had already done troubleshooting to determine a reinstall was necessary.
If you have not, I would storngly advise checking processes running, threads, etc. Check your registry, clean it. Defrag also, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.