Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Universal Audio plug-ins?

Is anyone using these on PT? And WHY aren't they listed on the Developers secion of Digi's site?!? Just curious.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Universal Audio plug-ins?

The answer is simple (It's blowing in the wind). Digi is now selling a competing product! - why should they be listed here?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:25 PM

The UA plug-ins are AWESOME ! I think Digi wasn't too happy when UA decided to sell their UAD Cards to the LE market and use the VST-RTAS wrapper to get them into ProTools. Also I think there was some kind of legal action because of the BombFactory/Digidesign LA-2A LA-3A and 1176LN naming which are now BF-2A ,BF-3Aand BF76. But try out their plug-ins they are worth it!!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Avid

WOW - hold on a minute here. When there's speculation about legal action or about Digidesign trying to withhold marketing for a Development Partner, I'm compelled to chime in!

Digidesign voluntarily changed the names of Bomb Factory 1176, LA-2A and LA-3A to BF-76, BF-2A and BF-3A, respectively, after we purchased the assets of Bomb Factory. We did this because the Universal Audio product DO sound great, we wanted to reduce/avoid confusion, and most of all, because we wanted people to evaluate, try and buy these Universal Audio products! No legal action, no conspiracy - none of that!

I just checked our online development partners catalog and you are correct, there is no listing for the Universal Audio products. The printed catalog and its online counterpart are an opt-in service and UA is currently opting to market their products on their own site. As new UA products come to pass (and there is some very cool stuff on the way) we will announce it in channels including DigiNews, and in the catalog if UA requests it.
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 PM

any comment about using the UAD in LE ?

If I mention there was some legal action will that get a response ?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The printed catalog and its online counterpart are an opt-in service and UA is currently opting to market their products on their own site.
So you are saying Universal Audio opted out of having their plug-ins listed under your online plug-in finder ? I was told something different when I contacted them a couple of months ago. I was concerned about my plug-ins not being supported or being discontinued since all of a sudden they are nowhere to be found on the Digidesign site. I was left with a different impression as to why they dissapeared from everything.

Back to the original question. Yes try them, I personally like them more than the BF counterparts.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Just bought the Studio Bundle (1176, LA-2A & Pultec) and I'm very happy with the sound. They are cleaner than the BF versions, and remind me more of the real thing. Money well spent.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:05 AM

The Digidesign need works with excellent Developers of TDM plugins such as TC Electronics and Universal Audio.
This is Naturally LAW of the life, cause that we are here looking everything and we wish the best audio stuff always!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
WOW - hold on a minute here. When there's speculation about legal action or about Digidesign trying to withhold marketing for a Development Partner, I'm compelled to chime in!
If there's anybody competing, it would be UA. Great plugs, great company but not the stature of Digi. So it may be case of UA competing with Digi, but Digi not competing with UA. I have no facts, just speculating along with the rest of you.

Like Steve Jobs said (or stole probably) "You need a good enemy". Like in the early 80's when Apple took on IBM, but IBM was only dimly aware of Apple.

UAs hardware products are not as elegant as TDM, and tend to work even more clumsily in ProTools. OTOH, their TDM based products rock!

$.02
Old 08-21-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
The printed catalog and its online counterpart are an opt-in service and UA is currently opting to market their products on their own site.
Very strange. I guess I should ask UA why they don't want to be listed in Digidesign's catalog.

Inexplicable things tend to bug me. I highly recommend the UA plugs to all the PT users I know, but they've never heard of them, and think I'm talking about the Bomb Factory plugs.