How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Should I switch to Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
I've worked with both platforms. To me it seems that when you're in PT there is not much difference other than a keyboard shortcut or two. It's when you're outside PT that makes the difference. Are you comfortable troubleshooting on one platform or the other and, if you're not, are you willing to go through a learning curve to get there....especially when things go south and clients are tapping their toe behind you waiting for their product.
Exactly.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Just thought I would chime in again. I have noticed by peoples tags that there are many out there that are going a bit over the top with the "custom" computers. All the power to ya, but I recently converted from the super-computer-custom build world to the [simply put] "Pro Tools Qualified" computer world. I literally bought a used "PTQ" computer for $99. I paid more for my Power Supply in my super computer than that... My results have been quite desirable. No crashes...ever. Flawless sessions time after time. Since I became more conscious of where my "studio money" goes, I have put it to high end gear and not more computer upgrades. The computer is simply not as important as some people are thinking it is. I have proof in my studio now. The equipment used for recording is where the dough should go. My guess is the need for a TB motherboard is to tap in to the emulating interfaces; why not just buy a nice piece of outboard gear if you already have an interface? High-end gear never really loses value. Computers, low-end gear and market fads always lose significant value after 3-12 months. Almost every studio goes out of business eventually whether it be economy, life or loss of interest; do what you can to create and preserve some resale value.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaas View Post
I literally bought a used "PTQ" computer for $99...

... The computer is simply not as important as some people are thinking it is.
Some people might have different needs from a studio machine than you do. Along with running Pro Tools (with multiple VI's and power hungry plugins), I do a fair amount of video and photo editing, as well as sound design, which can often involve running several cpu (and sometimes gpu) intensive programs at once.

I wish I could get away with using a $99 machine, believe me.
MSI GTX 1080ti Armor
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (system drive)
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD (sample drive)
MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB M.2 (work drive)
2 HGST Ultrastar 4TB drives (backup)
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaas View Post
I have noticed by peoples tags that there are many out there that are going a bit over the top with the "custom" computers. All the power to ya, but I recently converted from the super-computer-custom build world to the [simply put] "Pro Tools Qualified" computer world. I literally bought a used "PTQ" computer for $99.
It depends on "how" your computer is used in your studio. If you are using a console and mostly outboard hardware and Pro Tools is simply a digital tape deck then a used $99 computer will work just fine.

On the other side of the spectrum if you are completely "in the box" as I am then the horse power of your computer literally can never be enough.

I've been ITB since the TDM days. I bought the top of the line MacBook Pro when I switched to UAD and it worked, but I constantly found it's limitations. This computer upgrade finally gives me the procssing headroom to not be right on the cusp of bringing the whole system to it's knees.

There are guys that are ITB and using lot's of VI's that would think my latest build to be inadequate...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt
OS - Windows 10 Pro

https://soundcloud.com/jpsexton

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.