Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2023, 02:06 AM

Default Avid control app / EuControl only works with wifi

Hey guys, I recently bought a MacBook Pro M2 Max and have the following problem.

The connection between the Avid control app (running on a tablet) and EuControl (running on the MacBook) only works, when the MacBooks wifi is turned on. I also have ethernet connected to the MacBook (because it is faster and more stable than the wifi), but as soon as the MacBook switches to the ethernet connection, the control app loses its connection. The ethernet and wifi are the same network / router.

I also have a Windows PC and here it is no problem. The PC is connected to the ethernet, the tablet to the wifi and everything works like a charme.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2023, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Avid control app / EuControl only works with wifi

So you must be using some sort of dongle for the ethernet connection right?

Assuming that the ethernet connection is plugged into a router with Internet access, can you access the Internet with Wi-Fi turned off? That might point you to the source of the problem
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 11-17-2023, 05:20 AM

Hi Will,
yes I'm using a CalDigit TS4. The Avid S1 is directly connected to the ethernet port of the TS4.

Then I also use an ethernet to USB adapter which is connected to an USB port of the TS4 and the router / internet.

As I said, I prefer to turn off the wifi on the MacBook to have a faster and more stable connection to the internet via the USB to ethernet adapter (which works like a charme). But in this case, the Avid control app always loses the connection to the S1.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:51 AM

take the USB to ethernet adapter off the TS4 and try it connected directly to the computer.

I have all of my EUCON stuff hardwired so I get it!
Old 11-17-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chednb_pro View Post
Hi Will,
yes I'm using a CalDigit TS4. The Avid S1 is directly connected to the ethernet port of the TS4.

Then I also use an ethernet to USB adapter which is connected to an USB port of the TS4 and the router / internet.

As I said, I prefer to turn off the wifi on the MacBook to have a faster and more stable connection to the internet via the USB to ethernet adapter (which works like a charme). But in this case, the Avid control app always loses the connection to the S1.

This doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re using a usb to Ethernet adapter for a hardwired connection to the iPad, the usb part should be plugged into the iPad and the Ethernet part should be connected to the same router/switch as the S1’s. There should only be one dedicated Eucon network.

For this to work correctly you need a proper switch and/or router. Otherwise the computer thinks you have two distinct hardwired networks and Eucon does not like that.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:01 AM

I think most stable operation would be with a dedicated router/switch that only serves the EUCON devices, hanging off a dedicated ethernet port which is different than the port used for internet access.

On my system, which is a Mac studio which includes one ethernet port, the built-in ethernet port is used for connection to my Internet based router. Then I have a separate USB to ethernet dongle that connects the computer to a dedicated router used only for EUCON devices.

On your system you could use the ethernet port on your TB4 for Internet access for your computer and then get a USB to ethernet dongle to connect your computer to one of the recommended routers for EUCON.
https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi...ines_v2022.pdf
Old 11-17-2023, 12:28 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
Maybe there was some misunderstanding regarding my setup.

I use one router / modem which provides the wifi connection and the wired ethernet / internet connection.

The android tablet running the avid control app is connected via wifi to the router.

The S1 is connected via the ethernet port of the CalDigit TS4 thunderbolt hub to the MacBook.

And I have a USB to ethernet adapter also connected to a USB port of the CalDigit TS4. This one I'm using for a wired ethernet / internet connection for the MacBook (due to better stability and higher data transfer rates compared to the wifi connection). The internet connection via the USB to ethernet adapter works great!

So the S1 and the USB to ethernet adapter are both connected to the CalDigit TS4, which is plugged in to a single thunderbolt 4 port of the MacBook.

And here is the problem: the Avid Control App does not connect to EuControl as long as I'm using the wired USB to ethernet connection on the MacBook. It only works when the MacBook is using its on-board wifi connected to the wireless lan.

Maybe the problem is that the MacBook can't handle two ethernet connections via one thunderbolt port coming in from the CalDigit TS4?

I have no problems on my Windows PC using the built in ethernet port simultaneously with the USB to ethernet adapter. S1 and Avid Control App just work great.

I have a similar problem with my printer. The printer uses wifi and is connected to the router. But I can only print when the MacBook is connected via wifi and not when the MacBook uses the USB to ethernet adapter...
Old 11-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Avid

What's your network service order in System Settings>Network (then the small pull-down menu at the lower right>Set Service Order)?
Old 11-17-2023, 01:20 PM

The S1 is connected via the ethernet port of the CalDigit TS4 thunderbolt hub to the MacBook.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
This is not where the S1 Ethernet should be plugged into. Everything should be plugged in to the router.

S1 in router
MacBook via TS4 into router
Tablet via Wi-Fi from router

Not sure what you’re needing the USB- Ethernet for unless you have another router/switch in place that you want to make a dedicated Eucon network.