Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 AM

Default Mic signal gets out of speakers when recording

Whenever I hit the record button my mic signal just go through my speakers. How do I turn it off? The only way I can think of is muting the tracks, but there are so many tracks in my session. It's really annoying when I mute and un-mute them every time. I'm using Pro tools HD 11.3.1. And it seems like the Input monitoring button is useless in this situation.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Mic signal gets out of speakers when recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by longname View Post
Whenever I hit the record button my mic signal just go through my speakers. How do I turn it off? The only way I can think of is muting the tracks, but there are so many tracks in my session. It's really annoying when I mute and un-mute them every time. I'm using Pro tools HD 11.3.1. And it seems like the Input monitoring button is useless in this situation.
Like you found out you really can't do what you want. How else are you going to monitor your vocals while recording (unless you're using a console before going into the recording chain)? This has been a long-standing issue with those that use external monitoring setups.

Are you on a Mac? There's Mute Tone but I don't know if it works with PT11 and later OSX versions although it does say it has aax support but doesn't say whether that's aax32 and aax 64 or what. See this page: http://www.tritonedigital.com/index....hk=1&Itemid=20

QAPLA!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Turn your speakers off and wear headphones?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like you found out you really can't do what you want. How else are you going to monitor your vocals while recording (unless you're using a console before going into the recording chain)? This has been a long-standing issue with those that use external monitoring setups.

Are you on a Mac? There's Mute Tone but I don't know if it works with PT11 and later OSX versions although it does say it has aax support but doesn't say whether that's aax32 and aax 64 or what. See this page: http://www.tritonedigital.com/index....hk=1&Itemid=20
Yes, I am using a Mac. I will try out your suggestion.
when I hit the recording button, I can hear my voice while recording. So I don't know why AVID made an I monitoring button. It seems to be useless. In other DAWs, when the I.M button is turned on, you can hear your voice. Otherwise you can't
Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Turn your speakers off and wear headphones?
Yes, I tried. By doing so, what is the meaning of having a green I.M button ?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Input monitoring allows you to hear that track when you do not want to record it. Kind of the opposite of what you seem to want it to do.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 PM

So maybe I'm dense but I'm not following why you are really concerned here. Do you have an analog console or outboard monitoring system involved here?

If it is not the Mic signal "getting out of the speakers" then the rest of the mix your talent is singing over will get out the speakers as well and bleed into the Mic. If you done want that to happen mute the whole output or use headphones.

If you are just routing all signals through to the them main output then Pro Tools is doing a very reasonable thing. The main mix monitors need to be playing everything coming in by default... if you don't want the then having to mute an track makes sense.

In "real" recoding environments that signal is in the control room, the talent is wearing headphones or IEM or whatever, they are not listening to the main mix and their performance over speakers. Likely getting a separate cue mix feed to those headphones/IEM.

If you have to then muting a track is surely not that hard, how many mics do you have to deal with when tracking? Just slide that track to the top while workign so you can find it. Or use track colors, groups and arrange/hide tracks you are not recording to make it easier to work with.

Or for whatever reasons you have some number of tracks and you need to mute them then group them and mute/unmute them as a group. Or bus them all through an aux input and use the mute on the aux input.

Still kind of lost what the problem is here in the first place.