Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 02:32 AM

Default Pro Tools Teacher/Student Perpetual EDU License Inquiry

I am looking for a Teacher/Student Perpetual EDU license to replace the Institution one I was initially sold by Sweetwater.

I was sold a perpetual Institution license by Sweetwater that I paid for personally using my Sweetwater card, but when I went to purchase an upgrade from them I was told that the school I work for has to purchase the upgrade. Sweetwater refuses to rectify the situation even though they acknowledged the rep sold me the wrong license. They then tried to tell me to take it up with Avid and see if they could transfer my institution license to the teacher/student license. However, one Avid representative told me the only option would be to upgrade to a standard license then when it’s time to renew my support I could transfer from the standard to a teacher/student EDU license just to be told by another rep afterwards that this wouldn’t be possible and my only option would be to buy a new license. Another told me to have the school pay for it, which though I haven't tried that route would be a last resort as the only use the school has had for it is when I assist the music department with their Drama Club, chorus, or band concerts.

The problem I am having is every site/store either has no stock of licenses for the Perpetual Teacher/Student EDU only upgrade or subscription, the one or two I found online say they can't sell me the Teacher/Student EDU as they aren't based in the US (Canada, Europe, or Australia), others say they aren't allowed to sell me the institution upgrade unless its paid for by the school, and I am no longer currently under the music department at the school I work for.

My reason for not wanting to do subscription with ProTools would be due to it being something I use frequently to record live music, artists, produce, and the fact that I travel out of the country for business/work from time to time and I would hate for the subscription to expire/lapse on me again like the Perpetual license did to where I'm unable to renew as the transaction gets blocked by my bank due to "fraud" protection.