Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2023, 06:30 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio: Current "Perpetual" policy... Penalty or not?

Hi Stargazer,

Thanks for bringing up the old thread, I deleted it to avoid further confusion. I'll see what I can do to give more clarity regarding upgrade an re-introduction of new Pro Tools Perpetual licenses.

We appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Checking your account the upgrade is available for $399, feel free to check with our authorized dealer as well if they have promos that they are offering this Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 01-22-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Glad I found this thread.
Now I know it’s the License ”Upgrade” option I’m looking for (this year anyway).
Checking a few resellers, some still market a ”Renewal” product that doesn’t help the confusion.
In my Avid account there’s no info under my products, just the usual red text warning me that my plan/license is expiring soon.
Also, maybe a new sticky on this forum and remove this one:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421084
This has confused the hell out of me. My perpetual license runs out end of March and all I get is the same red warning text. There used to be a window with a drop down menu that allowed you to renew from there, so where has that gone? Do we have to buy the renewal (or upgrade as I believe its called now) from a retailer and not drirectly from Avid?
Old 01-23-2024, 05:08 AM
Avid

Hi Tim,

As I mentioned on the other thread. This is being worked on WS-3069.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 01-23-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi Tim,

As I mentioned on the other thread. This is being worked on WS-3069.
Hi Charles
Thanks for the update
Tim
Old 01-23-2024, 03:21 PM
Avid

Always welcome Tim!
Old 01-24-2024, 05:28 PM
Avid

Hi Tim - The issue has been resolved. You should be able to renew now directly by purchasing it directly from your MyAvid account.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi ihate100bees,

If you let your plan expire, you won't be able to receive any further updates and your add-value plugins such as Avid Complete Plugin and heat will stop working as well.

In regards to your response to ihate100bees above ...

Myself, I own PT v12.6 Perpetual. My upgrade and support plan (U&SP) just lapsed very recently, in early FEB 24. I had "Air Instruments and XpandII" plugins with my original purchase, back in 2015 or 2016. You mention here that if I renew my U&SP for another year, that if I FAIL to renew my U&SP 12 months later, I'll lose use of the "Avid Complete Plugin and Heat plugins". That's fine. My question is ... will I also lose use of my AIR and XPANDII plugins that I attained since my original purchase since 2015?

Thank You
Old 03-02-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualitySeeker View Post
In regards to your response to ihate100bees above ...

Myself, I own PT v12.6 Perpetual. My upgrade and support plan (U&SP) just lapsed very recently, in early FEB 24.
This does not make sense. If you had an update and support plan that expired in Feb 2024 you "own" the latest version of Pro Tools that was available prior to the update and support plan expiring. i.e. 2024.12.1 You "own" that as much as you own the first version you purchased or any other version in between you are running now. OK you don't legally "own" any of this software, you have a license to use it.

Quote:
I had "Air Instruments and XpandII" plugins with my original purchase, back in 2015 or 2016. You mention here that if I renew my U&SP for another year, that if I FAIL to renew my U&SP 12 months later, I'll lose use of the "Avid Complete Plugin and Heat plugins". That's fine. My question is ... will I also lose use of my AIR and XPANDII plugins that I attained since my original purchase since 2015?
If you have perpetual licenses to anything Avid does not take that away from you.

Air is a company/brand of plugins how can we guess what exact Air plugins you are taking about? Or what exact product/bundle/promotion you might have purchased in the past. If you mean the AIR Effects plugins, they are not a part of the ACPB and are included in the Pro Tools license, and they will keep working after an update/support plan expires.

Avid did not make this simple. It is confusing what plugins are core plugins, what other plugins are just included, and what are ACPB and what exact licenses license what parts of a ACPB. And multiple Avid web pages etc. used to keep getting this wrong, I gave up there, no idea if Avid ever fixed their mess. But that should all be clear if you look at my spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Also look at ILM. If plugins are licensed by a subscription it will be clear there and show as an expiry date. You may (as many of us do) have multiple Avid plugins licensed with perpetual licenses as well as being included in the ACPB and so you'll have multiple licenses for those plugins in your iLok account, if a subscription expires you need to make sure the perpetual license for that plugin is actually transferred to aka activated on your physical iLok (or iLok cloud if you are using that). Between that spreadsheet and looking in ILM you should be able to sort out your situation.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-02-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Hello, just found this and would like to add a question:

My perpetual plan is running out in July and I will buy an upgrade code from an authorized reseller these days as there are increased prices announced by avid.

I think about buying two codes and keep one for the next year. According to my dealer these codes do not have an expiration date and therefore this should be possible.

But I would go even further and maybe keep this code for 5 years or so. Last time I updated it was because support told me my mentioned bug would be fixed in half a year. That’s more than a year ago and it’s still not fixed. I did not need all the other updates or improvements they made so it was mostly wasted money. I think about reactivating the update plan when this bug is fixed or other features I would like to have are added.

So long question short: If I buy two upgrade/re-instate codes, or whatever it’s called now, and will maybe use one in two years and the second in 5 years – is this possible? Do these codes have some kind of expiration date?

Kind regards,
Gandlz
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandlz View Post

So long question short: If I buy two upgrade/re-instate codes, or whatever it’s called now, and will maybe use one in two years and the second in 5 years – is this possible? Do these codes have some kind of expiration date?

Kind regards,
Gandlz
Hi Gandlz,

Redemption codes don't expire unless the product has been discontinue. 5 years is quite a long time, but we (Marianna and Tope) will surely help in case you encounter any issue.