Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Default It's safe to say that Pro Tools 11 > 10

I owned Pro Tools 11 HD for a year before I felt it was ready for me to switch to. Last month I switched to 11 and started getting used to it. I have been using it almost every day with few problems (a few bugs that I found workarounds to) overall it has been stable.

I must have gotten really used to it because I just opened 10 back up, and it made me realize that 11, is a huge improvement. The mix window display looks so bad on 10 compared to 11 now that I'm used to it! Making the faders larger was a great decision, looking at the small faders on 10 its a joke now. Not to mention the Graphics on 11 are much higher resolution. Offline bounce is key. Use that every day. Thanks Avid.

At first using the audio engine, I didn't notice much improvement in performance until this week. Was mixing a song for an artist and needed to use Lots and lots of plugins. Was able to squeeze maybe 25-45 percent more power out of my system before it maxed out. Nice. By the way the new avid dither is now my go to. Beats pwr dither to my ears.

Pt 11 is a great upgrade from 10. At this point, I don't think there's anything that 11 can't do that 10 can. It's finally where it should be. Anyone thinking of upgrading, now is a great time. Great product
Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 PM

Default Re: It's safe to say that Pro Tools 11 > 10

Protools 11 can't use RTAS plugins.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk View Post
Anyone thinking of upgrading, now is a great time. Great product
Actually, now would not be the best time. Waiting a couple of weeks til after AES would be a better time, just in case they spring PT12 on us (PT11 has been out for a year and a half).
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Thank goodness!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, now would not be the best time. Waiting a couple of weeks til after AES would be a better time, just in case they spring PT12 on us (PT11 has been out for a year and a half).
I think you're safe. Even if something new came out (nope) it would certainly be back dated til today as usual.

Best I can tell, the only thing close enough to release is probably those plugins they showed at IBC.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
...just in case they spring PT12 on us...
NOT going to happen...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I think you're safe. Even if something new came out (nope) it would certainly be back dated til today as usual.

Best I can tell, the only thing close enough to release is probably those plugins they showed at IBC.
Unlke previous versions, PT11 was not backdated, so this one may not be either. Being that it's only a week away, there's no harm in waiting. If there's no new version, PT11 will still be there for everyone.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Yes thats true. By me saying that theres nothing 10 can do that 11 can't, that includes plugins. Almost all RTAS plugins are now available in AAX. And to top it off, Blue Cat Patchwork will let you use VST / AU Plugs in Pro Tools. So if theres any RTAS plugins that aren't 64 AAX yet, you can get it in one of the other formats... There are no plugins that I used to use that I can't use now... and that was a big concern for me... but it took a WHILE!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Unlke previous versions, PT11 was not backdated, so this one may not be either. Being that it's only a week away, there's no harm in waiting. If there's no new version, PT11 will still be there for everyone.
It would be a cool time for PT12 to come out.. as 11 is now established in my mind... but I honestly feel like it only got solid recently... I feel like a lot of manufactures jump the gun with new releases because of the demand for it... then everyone is stuck for a while with a buggy product until it becomes reliable...

I feel this way about gaming systems like PS4 (even though It's not buggy) there was no point in buying it last year... all the major PS4 releases are available on PS3 as well.. and it doesn't even look much better considering how much more power it has... it hasn't been fully utilized by anything yet.... So i still have my Ps3, although that should change by next year... we should see some games coming out that are ps4 exclusive.... Reminds me of 4k today... and when HD came out... took years for everything to switch... Technology usually beats usablility

In my opinion its comparable to Pro tools 11 launch: they could have waited a year and really perfected it. I was on 10 for a year even after buying 11 due to bugs and slow plugin support... but now its great... truly next gen... just takes a while