Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Digital Clicks and Pops

Hey ya'll -

I've got a problem where I'm having terrible clicks and pops coming through ProTools ... I noticed a similar post, but there wasn't much response - and this other post had it happening on the ADAT connections.

The noise sounds like "digital clock" pops ... very quick, random, and non-stop ...

The noise continues regardless of whether or not my SPDIF is connected or not, and occurs on the Aux Inputs ...

I'm running 6.4 w/ Digi002 (this problem was happening prior to the 6.4 upgrade) and Mac OS 10.3.3

Example:

TRACK 1: MIDI routed to SAMPLETANK 2 on Track 2
TRACK 2: STEREO AUX INPUT w/ SAMPLETANK 2 PLUGIN
TRACK 3: LEAD VOCAL AUDIO TRACK
TRACK 4: MIDI routed to Track 5 Aux
TRACK 5: STEREO AUX INPUT w/ SAMPLETANK 2 PLUGIN (CH 2)
TRACK 6: MIDI (not yet used)
TRACK 7: STEREO AUX INPUT (not yet used)
TRACK 8: BACKGROUND VOCAL (AUDIO)
TRACK 9: STEREO AUX INPUT (SPDIF IN), connected to Lexicon MPX 550 via SPDIF,

The clicking and popping is coming into TRACK 7 (Aux Input) and TRACK 9 (SPDIF)
HOWEVER, I can unplug the SPDIF cables from the 002, and I still get the same noise.
I can also go to Track 9 input, and choose "No Input" instead of SPDIF, and I still get the popping, now on the Master Fader and the Aux track (Track 7)

I've deleted preferences, and done everything I know to do ... I don't think it has anything to do w/ the Lexicon, because I can unplug all the SPDIF cables and still have the problem. Currently, it's popping on TRACK 7, 9, and MASTER FADER, and there are no SPDIF connections plugged into the 002. As a matter of fact, I remove all SENDS to SPDIF and still have the pops.

I'm in a 24 bit, 48K session.

Thanks for any input!
Fred
Free MP3, Leadsheets, Music
Old 04-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Digital Clicks and Pops - UPDATE

Hey Ya'll -

Just to update - I created a new session, and created one stereo AUX track, and a Master Fader track ... still getting pops - and this is with no plugins or anything!

The problem seems to go away when I choose "no input" on the Aux channel ... the popping starts .. but as soon as I define an input on the Aux channel (any input from the "Interface" popup), the popping starts again.

It seems as if I choose an input from the "Bus" menu, the popping doesn't happen ... so something from the "Interface" inputs is making this happen??

Thanks,
FRED
Free MP3, Leadsheets, Music
Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Digital Clicks and Pops - UPDATE

Though this isn't the same as my problem was, it nevertheless may have the same root cause. Search this DUC for CHUD information and give it a try. I won't hurt or cost anything.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Digital Clicks and Pops

Are you set to optical or internal, change this setting may well fix your problem, it was a common problem when the 001s came out.

Aj
Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 AM

I had this problem when I connected my VM200 mixer to the adat ports. As Ajazzie mentioned, set your clocks correctly. I think I set PT to internal and the mixer to adat 44.1 or PT internal.
I post the correct setting when I get to my studio later on tonight.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 AM

Hi there!

Besides checking whether your clock is set to sync to optical or internal, I would also suggest the following: avoid creating 2 Sampletank instantiations within the same session as it is known that Sampletank uses a lot of CPU power. Since it is a multitimbral plug-ing, you only need one instantiation of it to have acces to up to 16 different MIDI instruments at a time. I noticed you have the problem even without any Sampletank plug-in instantiated on an Aux track, but thought this suggestion would be also helpful to keep your CPU power at a more efficient level.

Hope this helps

Peace for everyone.

Rodolfo Fernandez
On-Air VO & Music
Old 05-01-2004, 11:40 PM

i was having the same problem with 002r. I messed around with sp/dif RCAs and bang!! in was gone!
(the point being look to the easiest solution, cuz ya never know!)