Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Impressed with PT 12

I've been using PT12 for the last four weeks and so far all smooth after the initial set up. I work in post so I've been using picture ref everyday and it's rock solid using the DNxHD codec (for me).
The only problem I had was I started off using Yosemite but it really didn't feel good on my system, drag and drop from the finder for example was slow and unpredictable. I'm now back on Mountain Lion and all is good.
I upgraded my PT10+CPTK to HD in december (when i got scared they were going close that door) and went straight to PT12 when it came out.

www.spoonsound.com
Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
The value for me is that PT 12 was rock solid and dependable, and it felt more fluid to me than 11. With 30 musicians and a conductor in front of me, a reliable system is money in the bank. I honestly don't care about new features at this time, but they are of course welcome. Another point is that I'm ready for upcoming 12.x.x releases. It takes a while for me to clone the system drive and install everything I need, and it is now done.
Precisely why I did it. The big plus has been the ability to run a fairly substantial amount of VI's (mainly K5 - big libraries) in the box now. There are other threads documenting this.

Someone asked about video. I score TV, import many files, all different formats weekly and have had no issues whatsoever.

Remember, I did a clean OS install, killed notifications and anything else that could take CPU resources. Plugs all up to date and so on. Took a full day but was worth it.

Now, when those nice little fixes and additions like freeze track are ready, it'll be a easy one step upgrade. The hard part is done.

I've had one spinning beach ball in over 400 hours of usage now. That ain't bad. PT11... daily issues, minor, but daily. Video PB mainly and those damn error codes.... same computer.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Original poster, do you realize how ridiculous this is? You're a moderator and you post this? Give me a freaking break.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-09-2015, 09:45 PM

Here's what I have to say, if you were actually sitting with 30 musicians in front of you, and a Conductor with you and you actually relied on your session using the just releast version of ProTools, you have to be the most naïve person on the freaking planet. Even if it was stable, even if it was amazing, only a complete fool would actually risk a session on a release so new. I can understand you being a fanboy, but to actually gamble on such an important session with the newest release of ProTools, do you have any idea how foolish that was? Regardless if it went well.

There has never, never, been a release of ProTools, that did not take a great deal of time to work itself out before it was reliable. But yet you blindly chose just jump right on in there, Ha? I don't think so.

Sorry, I just don't buy it!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 AM

Wow Barry, way to come online and class things up again;

Quote:
You're a moderator and you post this?
And how does that disqualify him from coming online and relating to us a recent experience he had?

I want my moderators to have an opinion and to share their experiences, as we all can learn.

The moderators are not employees.

Yet you're going to stoop to using the word "fanboy" and call him him "a complete fool" and practically a liar.
Seth and Amy: Really?

Over the last decade plus, we've all seen Stig come on to the DUC with much valuable information and help many people out.
You Barry, not so much…

Since you want to use the hoary old phrase "fanboy"
should we stoop to your level and use the tired phrase "hater" ?
But that would just be descending to your level of immaturity.

And as to leave us no doubt, Barry,
you come online and waste your time and ours, showing us your emotional IQ by posting a thread like this:

Here is the difference between 11 & 12

way to advance the conversation...

And you've come on here before and claim to run some kind of a company?

"sorry I just don't buy it"

e
for the record

Last edited by elicious; 05-10-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Original poster, do you realize how ridiculous this is? You're a moderator and you post this? Give me a freaking break.
I just don't get the attitude. Yes, I am a moderator. So what? The badge seems to shine brighter whenever we are positive, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Here's what I have to say, if you were actually sitting with 30 musicians in front of you, and a Conductor with you and you actually relied on your session using the just releast version of ProTools, you have to be the most naïve person on the freaking planet. Even if it was stable, even if it was amazing, only a complete fool would actually risk a session on a release so new. I can understand you being a fanboy, but to actually gamble on such an important session with the newest release of ProTools, do you have any idea how foolish that was? Regardless if it went well.

There has never, never, been a release of ProTools, that did not take a great deal of time to work itself out before it was reliable. But yet you blindly chose just jump right on in there, Ha? I don't think so.

Sorry, I just don't buy it!
I didn't blindly jump into anything. I mixed an EP and worked on 3-4 other sessions in PT 12 before the cinema recording dates, and didn't have any issues. I also tested the iMac/RME setup quite a bit first, and found no reason not to trust it. And, since I'm not a complete fool, I also used DURec (Direct USB Recording) on the Fireface UFX as a backup, which also worked perfectly.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:22 AM

I must admit, when I had to record a brass band (with conductor) recently, 14 tunes in a single session, as backing for a new CD by a former world champion whistler, I bottled it and used PT8, still the most reliable (trustworthy) version for me to date.

I use an external portable USB drive with a clean Snow Leopard boot partition and PT8 software for such occasions. Nothing other than the OS, hardware drivers, PT and a few other key bits of software that I might actually need during the tracking session.

In case anyone's interested ....

I used an X/Y small condenser pair just over the conductor's head, 4 large condensers a few feet in and four feet down from the ceiling (so around nine feet up from the floor) in all four corners of the room, a large condenser for each section of the band (solo cornet, soprano cornet, 1st Cornet, 2nd cornet, 3rd cornet, Fluegel Horn, 1st Horn, 2nd horn, 1st Baritone, 2nd Baritone, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Eb Tuba, Bb Tuba) plus mics on various items of percussion ... Drumkit (Kick+ Mono OH), Glockenspeil, Xylophone and Vibraphone (xy pairs), Timpani (spot mic on each), Gong (single spot mic) for a total of 31 mics!

Whistling was overdubbed in subsequent sessions ;-) As a gifted solo cornet player and brass band score arranger in his own right, the whistler stayed with me in the control room following the score as we recorded, and identifying where we would need to record drop-ins to rectify errors, coughs and the like, because those all had to be done that day.

All songs were recorded in a single project file, with drop-is recorded following each song (i.e. before moving on to the next song). Drop-ins were moved into place in subsequent editing sessions. Three full takes of each song, plus three of each drop-in were recorded, to give the greatest chance of comping songs as perfect as possible given the overall time constraints.

I could go on, but I won't ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-10-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I must admit, when I had to record a brass band (with conductor) recently, 14 tunes in a single session, as backing for a new CD by a former world champion whistler, I bottled it and used PT8, still the most reliable (trustworthy) version for me to date.

I use an external portable USB drive with a clean Snow Leopard boot partition and PT8 software for such occasions. Nothing other than the OS, hardware drivers, PT and a few other key bits of software that I might actually need during the tracking session.

In case anyone's interested ....

I used an X/Y small condenser pair just over the conductor's head, 4 large condensers a few feet in and four feet down from the ceiling (so around nine feet up from the floor) in all four corners of the room, a large condenser for each section of the band (solo cornet, soprano cornet, 1st Cornet, 2nd cornet, 3rd cornet, Fluegel Horn, 1st Horn, 2nd horn, 1st Baritone, 2nd Baritone, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Eb Tuba, Bb Tuba) plus mics on various items of percussion ... Drumkit (Kick+ Mono OH), Glockenspeil, Xylophone and Vibraphone (xy pairs), Timpani (spot mic on each), Gong (single spot mic) for a total of 31 mics!

Whistling was overdubbed in subsequent sessions ;-) As a gifted solo cornet player and brass band score arranger in his own right, the whistler stayed with me in the control room following the score as we recorded, and identifying where we would need to record drop-ins to rectify errors, coughs and the like, because those all had to be done that day.

All songs were recorded in a single project file, with drop-is recorded following each song (i.e. before moving on to the next song). Drop-ins were moved into place in subsequent editing sessions. Three full takes of each song, plus three of each drop-in were recorded, to give the greatest chance of comping songs as perfect as possible given the overall time constraints.

I could go on, but I won't ;-)
Thanks for sharing, Nigelpry. Cool to hear "behind-the-scenes" stories like that.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Maybe the same folks who have to upgrade a perfectly stable Mountain Lion to Yosemite? I just do not get why folks cannot build a stable system then leave it alone...
Couldn't agree with you more. I've got a system that has solidly working hardware and software for what I do and am leaving it like that. If I want what's supposed to be coming in PT12 (sans cloud collab) I already have it (and more) in Digital Performer 8.07. And video works to boot!

QAPLA!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Thanks for sharing, Nigelpry. Cool to hear "behind-the-scenes" stories like that.
;-)

Of course, there was no click either!

So I had to do very small amounts of TCE with all the tracks selected as a group to get the drop-ins to fit exactly, as, even with a pretty decent conductor, a 4 or 8 bar drop in section is not going to fit absolutely precisely.

When it came to mixing, the balance was generally good enough from the xy pair over the conductor's head, with some of the room mics added for ambience. Specific section and spot mics were only added in for occasional emphasis of something particular where the balance within the band in the xy pair was not quite right.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)