Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Tweaking Windows XP and Protools

I think this would be a good over all discussion for All of us since we have allot of deffrent levels of PT,Windows OS,and hardware users in the forum.

what have you done to Tweek the performance of Windows XP, such as services disabeled or removed to strip down XP to the bare bones for operation, and what are your setups in PT, sample rate during record and/or play back, cpu usage set.

I think most everyone know what the manual states about things you need to set under XP for Operation in PTLE.

This might help all of us 001,002,002r, Mbox users on some of these issues we have.

Also comments don't have to be limited to Windows XP, 98 an ME should be included as well

Now if we can only get Digi to write PTLE for Linux........Please!!!!!!......Worth a try

Ect.Ect.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Tweaking Windows XP and Protools

The best way to run Pro Tools IMO is not to tweak the Operating System.. except for the very few instructions given in the AnswerBase and the Getting Started Guide.

Basically the Appearance settings and the paging file size if you have 1 Gig or more of RAM.. leave everything else alone.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
For XP tweaks go here or here or take a look at this thread.
That was posting on another topic....I used the musicxp.com tips and what would take about 20-30 seconds to import audio into PT now takes 2-4 seconds.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Why would you say that given that there are so many things (services) that start running by default at first install that are really not needed.

Print Spooler is a good example unless you have a printer on your PT machine why should you not stop this process.

and to take it even furthur , why would you put a printer on your PT workstation?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:49 AM

Hi!
As Rail has said, tweaking should be done with extreme caution.

I cannot count the number of times I have hit the DUC, only to see multitudes of people having problems, most of which *may* be due to either excessive tweaking, not using proper components, or simply not RTFM.

Yes, certain tweaks may beneift one person, but might not another.

As soon as I find time, I will be creating a set of pages on my site giving advice, tips, tricks, etc on my site, including some all important things like HOW to do tweaks (yes Virginia, there is a right and wrong way ), as well as links to various sources of info that so many seem to miss.

'Til then, if one wants to tweak, do so ONE AT A TIME please! Live with that single tweak for a bit (day or more). Use Ghost, or simply leave System Restore on for the C: drive ONLY (this works fine despite what DIgi recommends), and create a Restore Point prior to each tweak (can always delete the restore point later to conserve space).

As an example, I have very few tweaks done on my system, and gained performance with 6.4 (very slight; one Aux with plugs inserted), while others have had problems, including loss of performance.

As always, YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Has anyone tried the regedit tweak suggested in MusicXP.net where you turn off last access update for NTFS? I've tried it, but can't really see any difference.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:19 AM

In this thread Rail has not said to tweek with extream caution?

and as I have stated, why would you leave a service running (such as Print spoller) that you may not use, I can't answer for anyone else but my system is dedicated to PTLE and PTLE only, I do have some other software on there that pertains to Editing like Sound Forge 7.0.
but this is for recording only, I think anyone would be crazy to think that they can run PTLE, be on the internet, do there Word processing,,general computer stuff on the same machine (not that you can't)

But I look at it as not a PC but as part of the PT system, and as so I want to stop all services and or processes that don't need to be there, it just wastes resources.

also if you look at my post and read it , I am asking people what they did, that helped them, not that it will apply to me or whoever, but lets get a thread going of things that users Have done, if me or someone else wants to try them and see if they help then good , if not, at least there listed and they might just help someone.
Helping others out is what this is all about, a few people here seem to think that anytime a user has a problem it is something they did or didn't do, or the Big one "Using the wrong Hardware",

Also I never use ghost, have in the past have seen it have issues as well, I backup all my data to a DAT tape, I use hp Surestore Backup drive and software.

Also Ask any IS windows geru and they will tell you that system restore uses allot of resources.

I have used it as well here in my work place, it's not very reliable.
or it is bacause I try to run Windows XP on the Compaq laptop that it came with?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 AM

Yes.....I have done the NTFS tweak....I am thinking that is why the file access and importing new audio has greatly improved.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:06 PM

Where did you go Rail?

this one is for you and Nikki-K, since you two esp. Rail say I am not using compatable Hardware, I would recommending both of you go back and read the compatability list, I just did, funny thing is there is no mention on specific Desktops, just Laptops recommended processors are the Intel P4 , thats what is in mine, I865 Chipset....hey I have that too, no mention of Bios, windows XP
it needs to be SP1, I am right there., It recommends Nvinda NForce for the AMD processors nothing said for the P4, I am using the Nivinda GeForce could be my problem but doubt it,

now some things that is does say is that USB has to be enabeled if avaliable, I have it but I disabeled it, I don't use USB for anything, Hey maybe thats it

Hyper threading disabeled....did that day one. so did I miss anything???

another thing I do find interesting, is that in the users manual and even the David Franz book I have it says if you set processor use to 99% on a dual processor system that PT will use one processor for Protools, Now on the compatability list it says that Dual Processor systems have not been tested.....seems like they say one thing and then another?

Now Prove to me I am mistaken, if I am, so be it, I will have at least learned something, and that is always a good thing.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:10 PM

What firewire card are you using?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12