Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Do I need an iLok to run pro tools 9?

A license will be put in your iLok account on their website and you'll be able to download that license into your attached iLok (when you buy one). Theoretically, you'll be able to have PT9 on multiple computers and it will work on whatever machine has the iLok plugged in. It's not a perfect science, but the price we pay for the non-hardware specific PT9.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 AM

ok i have a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and it says "Pro tools 9 Ready" do i still need an ilok to work? i though this was all i needed,and when i try to do the steps for the ilok site, when i hit the button to search for and protools programs and for auth. and what not, nothing pops up? Help

Thank you in advance, just trying to make a dream come true.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil918 View Post
ok i have a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and it says "Pro tools 9 Ready" do i still need an ilok to work? i though this was all i needed,and when i try to do the steps for the ilok site, when i hit the button to search for and protools programs and for auth. and what not, nothing pops up? Help

Thank you in advance, just trying to make a dream come true.
When you purchased your PT9 asset you were asked for an ilok ID. Go to that ilok account and download the license to your ilok. Be sure to install the Pace software associated with the ilok.

Go here... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323754

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Id just like to add here that I was hesitant about the new authorization technique that Waves has introduced.... but now that I have switched over to this new system... I dont know how we ever used Ilok's....

How about Avid moving in that direction??

For those who do not know or have not experienced it... Waves is now using a "Cloud" based authorization that can be uploaded to the cloud to pull down to another machine or left on a single machine... very neat, very cool, no Ilok, no losing your dongle (unless your computer dies and your license was not uploaded to the cloud.

I just completed a survey from Avid and this is the ONE thing I forgot to mention!! Get rid of the Ilok!!! That is yesterdays news (garbage for me)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM

While no copy protection is perfect, I have found ilok to be the best choice for us. Our production computers are off line, and I have no desire to authorize every new system on which I find myself.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
While no copy protection is perfect, I have found ilok to be the best choice for us. Our production computers are off line, and I have no desire to authorize every new system on which I find myself.
Tom, the BEST part of the new/non-Ilok license is that you also have a choice of downloading the license to a thumb drive and put it on any machine thats not online and then back on a thumb drive to transfer or you can simply upload it to a cloud and pull it down to any online machine... so you DO have a similar option than the Ilok, but you ALSO have other choices... And seriously it would take a matter of minutes per machine to swap over to this new method... however as I said when I first heard about it I was very upset, until I switched over to it... now I am looking at it with a new perspective knowing not only do I have another option but I can still simply use a thumb drive just like I do an Ilok if thats what you choose to do... With Ilok I have NO choice... Period