Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM

Default TRS insert cable wiring diagram?

Anyone know a website with a wiring diagram for a TRS isert cable?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: TRS insert cable wiring diagram?

Tip = + (hot)
Ring = - (cold)
Sleeve = Ground
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Industry Standard for Single Point inserts is :

Tip Send
Ring Return

However some soundcraft and other british devices use :

Tip Return
Ring Send

Consult your equipment literature for the particular peices of equipment you are looking to connect.

If your inserts are disctrete - Just go pin to pin on each cable... be careful not to reverse any pins
Powermac G5 dual 2.0
2GB DDR400 Ram
PTLE 7.1cs6
Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Industry Standard for Single Point inserts is :

Tip Send
Ring Return

However some soundcraft and other british devices use :

Tip Return
Ring Send

Consult your equipment literature for the particular peices of equipment you are looking to connect.

If your inserts are disctrete - Just go pin to pin on each cable... be careful not to reverse any pins
Same with the older Mackie 1604's... the main inserts were reversed...
Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Same with the older Mackie 1604's... the main inserts were reversed...
Good to know.
Chalk that up as one more reason everyone should always fully read they're manuals / tech papers. It is amazing the features or potential conflicts that no-one bothers to learn about until it is too late =)

Regards,
Scott
Powermac G5 dual 2.0
2GB DDR400 Ram
PTLE 7.1cs6
Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Chalk that up as one more reason everyone should always fully read they're manuals / tech papers. It is amazing the features or potential conflicts that no-one bothers to learn about until it is too late =)
whats a manual
if people read manuals in the first place these questions wouldnt be asked
even XLRs dont have a standard wiring so RTFM people
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Manual? What Manual?

On a serious note I am not poking fun at any one in this thread in particular, but seriously everyone out there should read cover to cover the literature of every new peice of electronics equipment they buy... not because they are 'too stupid' to use it or something lame like that, but because you would not belive the amazing hidden features that you would have not otherwise known if you hadn't.

It may drastically impact the way you work, or even allow you to do things you never thought possible with your setup. (TV's, Digital Cameras, Media players, Software Programs) all come to mind.

Respect Everyone,
Scott
Powermac G5 dual 2.0
2GB DDR400 Ram
PTLE 7.1cs6
Old 01-04-2006, 02:38 PM

It must be fun to assume that other people are stupid. This is the second flame out reply I have received on the DUC in two days. I thought the only stupid question is the one you don`t ask and I also believed that beginners are welcome on this forum. Apparently there are a lot of power users who feel the forum is really a place for them to show off at the expense of people who are trying to learn.
I would read a manual if I had one. I am a beginner at recording and I traveled to Argentina for a long vacation with a new MBox, a Really Nice Compressor and a guitar, hoping to teach myself how to make a reasonable demo. I brought books on PTLE. Before I left the US I asked the guy who sold me the RNC if I needed an insert cable and he told me no. I had thought from previous reading that I would need one and was ready to buy it, but I believed the salesman and got on the plane without an insert cable. Now I`m in the middle of Argentina and up a creek. If I can get a diagram of what I need I can take it to an electronic repair shop and have a tech solder one up for me. I don`t have experience at soldering and the verbal descriptions I have been given so far are probably not enough for a tech who doesn`t speak English to make me what I need. What I asked for--a diagram--is what I believe that I need. I don`t think that either the MBox booklet or the two page sheet that came with the RNC have what I need here. I didn`t give all the above information in my post because I didn`t think it was relevant to my request and I figured I should keep it short. I didn`t realize that I needed to defend myself in advance from negative assumptions made by people with a lot more pride than kindness.
Obviously this is a silly newbie question for the techie geniuses who think that only they should use the forum, but if there is someone willing to help rather than practice his sarcasm I would appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:03 PM

The RNC doesn't need an insert cable - you can connect it to the Mbox insert using a single 3-conductor TRS cable. This is clearly explained on the FMR website.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Gringo, I'm really sorry that you are feeling the way that you are. After reading through this thread several times, I think you may be misconstruing the intent of some of the users who are legitimately trying to help you.

First, tele is right, you only need the one TRS cable. The RNC is designed that way, and since the information is accessible from the web (page 2 of the free online manual), it is accessible to you.

Second, just in case you still really want a diagram, I put one up my web page for you. Most competent electronics tecnicians would only need what's posted here already, though.

Third, I think you should open yourself up to the suggestions that you yourself asked for. You came here looking for knowledgable suggestions from knowledgable people and they are giving it to you just as you asked. It is you that is choosing to take it in a condescending tone. You shouldn't feel any shame in not knowing something, and you shouldn't feel ashamed for asking about it, but you also should not be offended when someone who knows more about it tries to teach you how to learn about it for yourself. Many people don't even know that there are PDF manuals available from within the program, and also free on the internet. Some of us who have been helping people here a long time just want to help new users figure out how to learn about the stuff they are asking questions about.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12