Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-27-2003, 02:58 AM

Default NEW Rosetta 800 -- 8-channel, 24/96k

Apogee

respect [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

orleanska
Old 04-27-2003, 03:08 AM

Default Re: NEW Rosetta 800 -- 8-channel, 24/96k

yeah, i've been to the site before, and have been considering that. it releases in July of this year.

i have quite a few gripes with it thou. one, it uses only DSUB connectors; no 1/4" or XLR, which is an inconvenience, as a breakout DSUB cable would make the back of my rack more of a jungle than it needs to be.

another is the price. it is going to be $2,995. that's well over double the price of the RME ADI-8 Pro ($1,300), and significantly more than the Lucid ADA 8824 ($2,099), and yet, there only seems to be a marginal, if it even is better, improvement of the specs (on paper) to the two others.

i was hoping that as a result of them cutting corners by using only DSUB (btw, the RME uses both DSUB and 1/4", and Lucid uses XLR and AES/EBU), the price would be lower than it is.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:00 PM

[quote]Originally posted by kmshroom:
Quote:
i have quite a few gripes with it thou. one, it uses only DSUB connectors; no 1/4" or XLR, which is an inconvenience, as a breakout DSUB cable would make the back of my rack more of a jungle than it needs to be.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think it is possible to fit 20 XLR connectors plus 4 optical connectors, WC I/O and an expansion slot on the back of a 1U w/out DSUB

Quote:
another is the price. it is going to be $2,995. that's well over double the price of the RME ADI-8 Pro ($1,300), and significantly more than the Lucid ADA 8824 ($2,099), and yet, there only seems to be a marginal, if it even is better, improvement of the specs (on paper) to the two others.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First of all, the Rosetta 800 is $2995 list. The ADI-8 is $2255.00 list, the Lucid is $2495.00, so the differences in price are not as great as you made them out to be.

As for the specs on paper, they rarely tell the whole story with today's converters as some companies are less than honest about their specs and tech specs have less to do with the sound in todays converters. I have it on good word from Apogee that the Rosetta 800 is possibly the best converter that they have ever made. Plus you get 8 channels of AES/EBU and S/MUX, optional Firewire connectivity, and limited channel routing. To me that is well worth the extra $$$ you would pay for the unit.

Finally, if what Apogee is saying is true about the quality of the Rosetta 800, comparing it to the RME or Lucid is like comparing a Ferarri to a Chevy Cavalier.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:28 PM

[quote]Originally posted by DigiGeek:
Quote:

Finally, if what Apogee is saying is true about the quality of the Rosetta 800, comparing it to the RME or Lucid is like comparing a Ferarri to a Chevy Cavalier.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh and lets all go by what Apogee says! and you for that matter!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:59 PM

DigiGeek, what are you talking about?!

20 XLR connections?? the Rosetta 800 only has EIGHT inputs, and EIGHT outputs. EXACTLY the same as the RME. and the RME has SIXTEEN 1/4" sockets, PLUS TWO DSUB connectors, PLUS two ADAT optical, PLUS word clock BNC in and out. that's more than i can say for the Rosetta 800, which only has two Dsub, two adat, word clock BNC in and out.

the RME lists for 1,700. and i can buy it from Sweetwater for 1,200.

of course apogee is gonna say it's amazing. what, are they gonna tell you it's not??? -_-. i've talked to MANY experienced engineers who have done A-B comparison of the RME ADI-8 with the Apogee AD-8000, and they've said that the difference is only marginal. okay, and this is the AD-8000 we are talking about, and you can count on the Rosetta 800 being ..not as good as the AD-8000, to say the least.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM

[quote]Originally posted by kmshroom:
Quote:
DigiGeek, what are you talking about?!

20 XLR connections?? the Rosetta 800 only has EIGHT inputs, and EIGHT outputs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Eight in + Eight out + Four Stereo AES/EBU in and out. You're right I miscounted. There would be 24 XLRs w/out DSUB connectors.

Quote:
the RME has SIXTEEN 1/4" sockets, PLUS TWO DSUB connectors, PLUS two ADAT optical, PLUS word clock BNC in and out. that's more than i can say for the Rosetta 800, which only has two Dsub, two adat, word clock BNC in and out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Rosetta 800 has three DSUB connectors two for analog I/O and one for AES/EBU I/O (the RME does not have AES). As a professional, TRS connectors are not acceptable to me and therfore not an option.

Quote:
i've talked to MANY experienced engineers who have done A-B comparison of the RME ADI-8 with the Apogee AD-8000, and they've said that the difference is only marginal. okay, and this is the AD-8000 we are talking about, and you can count on the Rosetta 800 being ..not as good as the AD-8000, to say the least.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So you are talking about a comparison you have not even made yourself. You may want to get off your soapbox and get in the studio and listen for yourself. If you can hear at all you will immediatly notice the signifigant difference between a current AD-8000 and the RME. Anyone who tells you the difference isn't signifigant either hasn't caibrated properly, is clocking off of the Apogee or owns an RME and is trying to rationalize not spending the money on a professional converter.

Look, you don't have to take my word for it. Go listen. Thats what I did, and everyone in the room, including the rep at Steinberg who sells a version of your beloved RME under the Steinberg brand said the RME didn't come close to the AD-16 and DA-16 we listened to. The only thing comparable to the Apogees in this particular test was the DB Technologies box, and price wise, the DB is way more expensive than the Apogee.

Based on this, I am very anxious to listen to the Rosetta 800. If it sounds half as good as Apogee claims, it is still better sounding and more functional than the RME at a great price.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:38 AM

Once again (and I say this based on other posts I've read) DigiGeek hit the nail right on the head. The Apogee boxes blow away the competition. I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but are the people who are posting things against Apogee and recommending things like RME or Lucid actually pro users?

I can tell you hands down (and this is actual fact right from my ears) the new Rosetta 800 is indeed the absolute best sounding box Apogee has ever come out with. To be fair the SE models of the AD8000 and PSX-100 are definitely a bit warmer but look what you are getting for a rather low price (considering the PSX100SE lists for $3995 and that's only for 2 channels of conversion plus digital routing - btw this is my favorite box at the moment).

8 ins and outs of analog, and 4 ins and outs of AES/EBU. How much more could you possibly ask for, not too mention the fact that it includes the new C777 clock which is what the Big Ben gives you. I have spoken with Apogee in depth about this product and they admit that this new Rosetta blows away most everything else they have released to date. Just wait and see what they do next. Apogee is unreal when you want to get the best possible sound out of your digital studio. For me, I'd rather spend a bit more money now then have to sell and repurchase later on when I figured out that what the pros were saying from the start was absolutely correct.

This whole DSUB over 1/4" discussion is really strange to me. Especially the response that said DSUB's would be too messy. That's quite silly when you think of the fact that it's a snake, and there's 1 DSUB on one end and a breakout of XLR, 1/4", or whatever on the other end. That would be a heck of a lot cleaner behind the rack than a bunch of separate XLR or 1/4" connections. DSUB makes things so much easier to setup.

Also, DigiGeek made a great statement. Let your ears be the judge. Have a dealer or someone setup a real world blind listening test (and make darn sure the units are calibrated exactly the same and they are both using their own internal clocks). It would sincerely amaze me if you picked anything else (with the exception of $10k Prisms or $30k DB Tech boxes) over the Apogee's. Also, the Prisms and DB boxes are great if you want to spend tons of cash, but neither give you the same warmth and analog tape sound that Apogee gives you. They are crystal clear, cold clean digital boxes that do nothing to the sound. For me, the best sound ever was analog tape and with Apogee I am given that sound in a digital environment with huge stereo imaging. Apogee kicks ass.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM

I have 2 questions.
I am new to Apogee stuff.
Off-course i will do some real listening
when the products come out but for those
who have experience with Apogee....

1) Would it be better to add the
Big Ben unit or Rosetta 800 if you
are just running the stock 001 to improve
sound quality? The Big Ben is a word clock unit but it does have 'converters' right? Would it be simular to the older Rosetta box or 800?

2) Will the 800 Rosetta converters sound
significantly better or the same as the
current Rosetta?

thanks,
--james
Old 05-01-2003, 05:04 PM

1) Would it be better to add the
Big Ben unit or Rosetta 800 if you
are just running the stock 001 to improve
sound quality? The Big Ben is a word clock unit but it does have 'converters' right? Would it be simular to the older Rosetta box or 800?

----------------------------------------------

The Big Ben is a master clock not an a/d or d/a converter (perhaps you are referring to format conversion which is a completely separate function). You only need the Big Ben if you have multiple converters or other digital sources that all need to slave to the most unbelievable clock on the market. If you have only one converter and no other digital pieces then you don't need Big Ben, however, most digital studios have more than just one piece of digital gear and so Big Ben makes a world of difference because all the gear can take advantage of the new Apogee C777 ultra low jitter clock.

2) Will the 800 Rosetta converters sound
significantly better or the same as the
current Rosetta?

There's no question about it, the new Rosetta 800 is quite simply the best sounding converter Apogee has ever released (with the exception of the slightly warmer and fatter sounding SE units of the AD8000 and PSX-100). There is absolutely no comparison between the old Rosetta and new Rosetta 800. Also, please note that the Rosetta 800 has Big Ben built into it (not the clock distribution or format conversion but the clock itself is the same C777 Apogee clock that is in Big Ben).

Hope that helps!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:34 AM

Apogee AD-8000 vs RME ADI-8 DS

While I can't a comment on the sound of the actual product, I would still have to say that saying that new rosetta is actually more functional than the RME is obsurd. All you have to do is take a look at the back of the box to know that the RME has more in's and outs with more options of conversion.