Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Export region problems

Hi Digi,
after many problems, (still) with 7.1 & Tiger 10.4.8, I have managed to get Pro Tools to competely freeze my system, and force a hard restart-even inducing "force quit" wouldn't work.
I have been having problems with "Export Files" -my files sounded fine, but with patches of loud pink noise type sounds, every 2 seconds or so. They sounded good in the PTools session, but bad in say Jam or Peak (after the export from PTools of course) The patches of noise were very obvious to the eye in Peak, say, but not in the PTools session.

What is also weird is this-
1. On highlighting the files in my session that I wished to export as aif's, the "Export" option is greyed out in the dropdown menu, but is available via the keystrokes (my normal way of working) "Command/shift/k". Using the keystrokes I was able to export, albeit a bad sounding file, but not via the menu.

2. In the Regions List, the Export options are available, but both the "Export Region Definitions" and "Export Regions" show the same key strokes(as previous). As an experiment I opted for the "Regions Definitions", and this totally froze my system (beachball of death spinning), and I was not even able to force quit PTools; I had to do a shut-down from the front of my Mac.

Any suggestions as to why my file exports sound like this, and why the system hangs please ?

So, brief system run down is;

Mac G4 1,25 Dual mirror door (F/Wire 400),
Belkin powered firewire hub
Tiger 10.4.8
PTools 7.1 with cs10,
external firewire hard drive (911 etc etc)
1.25 Gig ram,
Permissions alll recently repaired,
Disk Warrior 3.0.3 checked earlier in the day
Contour Shuttle
Mouseworks/Kensington Expert trackball,
MacAlly keyboard

All this is only one of the many problems I'm having since my Tiger/PTools 7.1 upgrades. Should have stayed with Panther & 6.9 -I now have whole 6.9 sessions that seem totally wierd, and are scarcely usable in 7.1.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Export region problems

Hi Digi,

I think that I may well be at fault in some of my claims as per the above post.......

After further checking , it would seem that, prior to my upgrades, in the specific session that was giving me problems, due to a cock-up on my part, some of the audio files referenced by PTools were on another drive ie the Left half of the SD11 was on one drive, and the Right half on another !! Don't ask me how this happened(part of my poor back-up system I think !!!). I guess what had also happened was that one of the two files (left or right) had been erroneously erased, and the bad noise etc I was hearing was as a result of this. Mea culpa .

However, it still doesn't explain why the "Export" option was greyed out in the menu bar, but still available as a key command ?

All the above might also explain the waveform displays too; I'll check more on this.

What I still don't understand is how come the files played OK in the session, but not when exported ? Think maybe I need a break, and will continue tomorrow-sorry if this is getting a bit like a Blog, but didn't want to blame you Digi guys for my operator errors.

Many thanks anyhow, and I'll try more stuff in the morning.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock