How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-04-2020, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
.... You mentioned narrow view, but there is a 3rd option that is undocumented. If you use the "fat meters" hack while in narrow mix, it actually creates a compromise where the tracks are wider than the typical "narrow" view, but not as wide as normal. That's the setting I use all the time(the hack being hitting all 3 modifier keys and clicking on any track meter in the MIX window).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
I must correct you. This feature is actually very well documented on page 748 in my new book "Pro Tools 2020 - How it Works"
Congratulations Edgar - your images are a wonderful addition to the Pro Tools Reference Guide – and so much easier to understand!
If only you’d include Windows Shortcuts alongside the Mac, I feel you’d greatly expand your market.

Dave (albee 1952) has the uncanny knack of answering my questions before I get to ask them – so I hope both he and you can transcend my pedantry:

“The Powerclaw” (@2:28) - (Control + Option + Command) and Fat Meters (“Powerclaw” + Click) (@2:37) were featured in Brett Woolford’s (2015)

Pro Tools Tips - 5 Things You Probably Didn't Know | Metalworks Institute
https://youtu.be/Ixpubh6ALeE

And in 2013:
Pro Tools® 11 ‒ Advanced Metering ‒ Avid®
https://youtu.be/d5IUWJY9b0Q
@ 2:53

Last edited by unkJE; 12-05-2020 at 05:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-01-2021, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

Latest PT version..... not fixed.

Note - the EDIT window can fill my 49" widescreen monitor, but the MIXER window can not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

I’m hoping a future version of ProTools will allow the mixer window to be quite a bit wider than the maximum now.

Let me explain

I just got an ultrawide 49” monitor for my MIXER window, and hooked it up to 2020 Mac Pro that has a very nice graphics card in it.

Resolution for my *mixer* window is 5120 x 1440 and this is great as I can see what I want to on the mixer (including 3 sends open, EQ curve, delay compensation, 10 inserts, etc)

However I can’t drag the mixer window all the way open, from left to right. It will open only enough (left to right) to allow me to see about 49 faders in wide view.

See attached pic.

Yes I know i can see more faders if I switch to narrow fader view, but that isn’t my point.

Note the yellow area to the right of the mixer window. I want to be able to view MORE faders in this yellow area, by dragging the mixer window to be wider. PT 2020.9 does not allow me to do this.

With many people mixing hundreds of audio tracks (myself included) it seems about time that the mixer window could be made wider .... to be 5120 pixels wide at least.

(My edit window is on a separate monitor, so not I dont want to have my edit window on the same monitor.)

Anyone know anyone at AVID who can maybe take a look at this limitation, and see about maybe changing it in a future version of ProTools?

and no, selecting a different (lower) screen resolution on the Mac Pro does not solve the problem.

I want to run at 5120 x 1440 to see the *height* details I want on the PT mixer. (3 sends open, EQ curve, delay compensation, etc)

Thanks.