Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Default possible to bypass DSP chips on HD accel cards?

so i started a thread this morning while troubleshooting a problem, and on my 3rd digitest i finally got the answer. (why the problem didn't show up the first 2 times i'm not sure...?)

anyway, the culprit was the accel card: the buss master test on both DSP A and B failed on it.

have since yanked the accel card again and reseated it, and reseated the corresponding digilink cable. still no luck.

here's my question for the gurus: is it possible to disable those two chips only via pro tools, or some sort of card utility program i may not be aware of? i've already tried re-allocating manually via the system usage window, but it only seems to allow me to toggle unused dsp on and off. i would need to be able to move the mix engine bar down to chip 3, for the moment this doesn't seem possible within PT.

i can't work with only a core card! help! cheers
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Re: possible to bypass DSP chips on HD accel cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
so i started a thread this morning while troubleshooting a problem, and on my 3rd digitest i finally got the answer. (why the problem didn't show up the first 2 times i'm not sure...?)

anyway, the culprit was the accel card: the buss master test on both DSP A and B failed on it.

have since yanked the accel card again and reseated it, and reseated the corresponding digilink cable. still no luck.

here's my question for the gurus: is it possible to disable those two chips only via pro tools, or some sort of card utility program i may not be aware of? i've already tried re-allocating manually via the system usage window, but it only seems to allow me to toggle unused dsp on and off. i would need to be able to move the mix engine bar down to chip 3, for the moment this doesn't seem possible within PT.

i can't work with only a core card! help! cheers
Hi,

All you can do is click on the chips to make them "allocated" once thats done they will stay allocated till the next PT boot.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering E-Mixing & Mastering facility
www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.7 Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 Harpertown 8-core UAD-2 Quad / SSL Duende Native. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, Solid State Logic VHD, Anthony De Mario ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM

thanks chris, cheers.

i ended up yanking the accel card and re-seating it again in a last ditch attempt (4th time!), and low and behold, it's suddenly testing 100% fine.

2 days of frustration and head scratching, and it turns out it was the dinosaur computer all along. fun!

no more dae errors for the moment, and playing back 96+ voices no prob.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM

As I wrote in your other thread: for DAE error -6042 cleaning did the trick once more again

However what you did now is some type of rudimentary cleaning, it is very well possible that you will get the same problems again in the future.

So I still advise you to clean the PCI slots with a contact cleaning spray + blotting paper and the contacts on the PCI cards with a pencil gum, just to be on the safe side and to be sure there are no dust particles/oxidation residues left behind that can come haunt you again

System 1: Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6-core - 32 GB RAM - OS X 10.13.6 - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - PT Ultimate 2018.7 - 192 I/O - 192D I/O (x3) - SYNC HD I/O - Apogee Big Ben - Rosetta 200 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x3)

System 2: Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6-core - 32 GB RAM - OS X 10.9.5 - Magma PE6R4-I - PT HD 6 Accel PCI - PT HD 10.3.10 - 192 I/O - 192D I/O (x3) - SYNC I/O - Apogee Big Ben - Rosetta 200 - ProControl 48 faders

Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM

thanks for the good advice delta music, i will definitely do some better cleaning as per your suggestions! (the next time there's weirdness: for the moment it's running fine, i don't want to jinx it!)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM

I fix these cards and Ill say that it would take a pretty big clump of dust to cause any PCI connection issues, for the most part the PCI ( PCI, PCIe, or PCIx ) slot connectors
are for the most part self cleaning, at the point of contact,
I've seen cards make it through a building fire and covered completely with back soot work without any issues, maybe if the slot is filled with cat hair it would cause issues

Keep in mind anything that is graded as Computer quality has extremely low failure rates, and computer grade connectors are the same

Honestly pulling the cards out, and in ,and out, and in is 1000x more hazardous than anything else, especially when R35, and a handful of other parts can fall off from handling the cards, and the BGA mounting of the DSP chips is very susceptible to handling its only natural to grab the cards from those DSP chips as there is little free space to grab the cards

If it failed digitest more than 1 time and then starts working you absolutely 100% have a intermittent connection if it all of a sudden starts working after pulling the cards out, and in, and out, and in

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
studio.tech@yahoo.comm
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear