Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

So I’m still thinking if I’m on a perpetual lic and I pay for updates and support on an annual basis... if the future model does move to an entirely subscription basis and in future Avid does drop the perpetual lic. Can I choose to not move but stay on my perpetual lic (loaded on my iLok) seeking no further updates and support from Avid my version of PT 201#.## whatever the version level this may be will keep Working?

And since I already have the annual updates and support plan current and if I keep it current and paid up.... nothing changes?

And if at the point Avid does take away the perpetual lic long after I may have seperated ways from Avid I’m not going to find all of a sudden PT stop working due to subscription issues?

Personally I’m pretty good with $199.00 annual sub it doesn’t make PT out of my ability own it. If it helps employ and keep the right coders and take PT to the next level I’m good with that.... it’s the removal of the perpetual lic that will be the point I prolly part ways.... or stay with what ver I have until in future the subscription plan suits our studio’s model
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
OK...I did.

So what you're saying is that at $199 Pro Tools is competitively priced against Cubase Pro Xgrade at $186 and Logic at about $224.

Thank you.
No Patrick. For 166 euros I got a perpetual cubase license and I will pay them again when a major update will be released, if I want and when I want without any penality if the plan expires. Same about Logic. Avid has just doubled the annual plan for vanilla and the trend is for a subscription migration. I am on a Ultimate and this year nothing changes for me but I am sure that in the next future things will change for Ultimate users as well. Thank to people like you who justify this Avid policy.

Last edited by innesireinar; 06-19-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentmoon52 View Post
That's what I did ...I got a great deal and it is very stable.....
Yeah man, until u experienced all the problems with Pro Tools people that have been using Cubase for ages do not realise what a great DAW they have lol...
  • Lower CPU Usage
  • Less Crashes
  • No Corrupt Saves
  • Nice Customisable GUI
  • Wealth of free plugins (THAT ARE USEFUL)
  • Awesome sound engine
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 AM

Just so you know ...l

For anyone in the uk wanting to buy a renewal prior to 1st July to beat the price increase ...

Currently £94.01 via your Avid account

Or

$99 via Sweetwater (US retailer online), which has come through on my MasterCard at £78.70, so still cheaper via a US reseller, same as it has been in previous years.

The Activation code is quoted in a pdf of the order that appears in your Sweetwater account shortly after placing the order, it does not appear in the order confirmation email you get.

If you prefer to buy from a uk retailer, Absolute Music is currently discounting the £94 down to £79, so they are obviously competing with the US retailers, something I haven’t seen in previous years when renewing my plan. I didn’t think to check uk retailers this time before buying :-(
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM

I received an answer to my query from Avid support:

Quote:
Yes, you may still purchase the Reinstatement Plan for Pro Tools Ultimate after July 1, 2019. The product that you need to have is $999.00 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan (Download):
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...&sku=DYNA20012
Meanwhile Pro-Tools-Expert reached out to Avid...Avid requested that they change their article to reflect the wording on the DUC, not the Facebook post. So the future of perpetual license reinstatements is still about as clear as mud. I will re-open the ticket and get confirmation from Avid Sales support closer to July 1st.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Just so you know ...l

For anyone in the uk wanting to buy a renewal prior to 1st July to beat the price increase ...

Currently £94.01 via your Avid account

Or

$99 via Sweetwater (US retailer online), which has come through on my MasterCard at £78.70, so still cheaper via a US reseller, same as it has been in previous years.

The Activation code is quoted in a pdf of the order that appears in your Sweetwater account shortly after placing the order, it does not appear in the order confirmation email you get.

If you prefer to buy from a uk retailer, Absolute Music is currently discounting the £94 down to £79, so they are obviously competing with the US retailers, something I haven’t seen in previous years when renewing my plan. I didn’t think to check uk retailers this time before buying :-(
Thanks for the Absolute Music tip.
I got a similar discount from Plug in boutique a coupe of months ago. takes me to Spring 2020.
Still thinking about adding another year or two, or to just call it a day.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 AM

Since Avid are now saying they are moving to subscription as a point of policy, I wonder if there's an inevitability in scrapping the permanent license completely in time. If so, I wonder how they will do that... right now the "offer" to surrender a permanent license is not greatly compelling. The Ultimate license will be worth $2599 in our brave new world, whereas all I'd get back - if I understand correctly - is a $200 per year reduction in subs cost from $799 to $599. So, um, I'd lose a permanent license and pay an extra $200 per year for doing so.

As a sales strategy, I'd describe that as "optimistic".

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Since Avid are now saying they are moving to subscription as a point of policy, I wonder if there's an inevitability in scrapping the permanent license completely in time. If so, I wonder how they will do that... right now the "offer" to surrender a permanent license is not greatly compelling. The Ultimate license will be worth $2599 in our brave new world, whereas all I'd get back - if I understand correctly - is a $200 per year reduction in subs cost from $799 to $599. So, um, I'd lose a permanent license and pay an extra $200 per year for doing so.

As a sales strategy, I'd describe that as "optimistic".
It seems like they are trying (and failing) to balance their current yearly payers while gently nudging them into subscriptions. The problem for AVID is that many of us are going to refuse to give up our permanent licenses. They are going to have to abandon many PT vanilla license holders in order to get 360.00 a year from all of their native users. That will result in a net loss. They know this. This is why they keep trying to get 200.00 a year from their perm license holders. @599.00 for a perm license though, it makes little sense to pay that much without buying new licenses every 3 years. If they raise the price of the perm license to 800.00, the competition becomes VERY enticing. So AVID is caught between a rock and a hard place.

FWIW the pricing model for subscriptions appears to be gouging to me, as another product that is an industry standard, Photoshop, can be had for 10.00 a month without surrendering an old CS license.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 AM

For those Windows users "looking to jump ship" there is Bandcamp' Cakewalk which is FREE! :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
For those Windows users "looking to jump ship" there is Bandcamp' Cakewalk which is FREE! :)
I think Cakewalk is legit. I don't like the workflow, but what a value. Man.