Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Cueing Headphone Mixes - how??

I'm getting ready to do my first "real" project w/ my 002, so I've been sitting here all day, getting into the nitty gritty of it. My last little test for myself was to make a few headphone mixes, but I realized amost immediately that there's no "solo" button on the master faders. So how does one cue a headphone mix?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Cueing Headphone Mixes - how??

I have a 002 and I had to onsert the headphones, if you dont have an amp for them, into the outs and create a submix and send whatever you want on a bus to that particular out going to the headphones.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 PM

By FAR the easiest way to give headphone mixes is to go to your local Guitar Center and spend $100 on the Behringer 4 channel headphone amp.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:53 AM

For true headphone mix you must have some sort of amplification for the headphones...

Then you BUS the channels you want to go to the phones (choose an output like 7-8 for example) and put them in pre-fader... that way you can do anything except on the inserts with 2 seperate mixes...
Old 12-19-2004, 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies, but my question wasn't answered. I completely understand the fact that you need a headphone amp. Or in my case, wireless in-ear monitor systems (Sennheiser E300's) - what can I say, I'm a monitor guy for a living, I'm just used to dealing with in-ears! Anyway, my problem is there's no internal cueing system on buses within Pro Tools. I would have figured you could cue up your master fader(s) and through the cue bus you'd hear your headphone mix. I can get away with plugging into the individual headphone outputs on the E300 transmitters, but if I were sending to a headphone amp outside of the control room, I'd be up a creek! How do you guys keep an ear on your mixes for your players? Or maybe you're not recording 4-5 players at a time on these little 002 systems...

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:
How do you guys keep an ear on your mixes for your players?
Two words.

External Mixer.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:39 AM

Old 12-19-2004, 09:12 AM

I thought I had it for a second there... I created an Aux Input, which does have a solo button on it. However, when you solo it, the signal doesn't go to the cue bus, it only goes to the output which you specify (in my case analog 3). This doesn't make any sense to me. There's GOT to be a way to cue up your buses!
Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 PM

Few guidelines...

Pro Tools is very modular in a way you can route almost everything pretty well.

Buses: They got a "Pre" button so the signal from the track would be independent from what goes through the track output.

Track - Solo Safe - click+command on the solo button to find this wonderful feature.

Now just an example for a simple route (you can do whatever you want).

Route anything you want for the cue mix to an Aux (let's say through bus 1-2).

No the Aux gets all the "mix" you sent it through buses 1-2.
* keep them in Pre mode so they won't be effected by soloing...

now you want to send to mix to the cues...
so you route the output of the channel to the outputs connected to the phones amp.

let's say Output 4-5.

You want to check what you're sending?
no prob.
you can -
a. monitor through the output (4-5) by plugging additional headphones.
b. route the cue aux by sending it through the sends to anywhere you want (outputs or buses...).

So you can "even" have another Aux with the Cue Aux sending to bus 13-14 in pre mode and then you can mute it , solo it regardless to other tracks...

It all depends what you need but just understand the routing possibilites and it'll be much easier...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 PM

I've read and re-read your post about five times, and I've gotta tell you, I don't know what the hell you're trying to say!

I completely understand about pre and post fader, solo safe, and all that good stuff. And I've tried all the routing I can think of within PT. It's really not rocket science! The best I can decipher from your post is to do what I've already tried: send down bus 1 for a mono mix. Then create an aux input, with its input being bus 1 and its output being analog 3. The problem is that when I solo the aux input, it doesn't come out of the monitor output. I realize all the sends have to be pre fader - it makes no difference in this case.

Thanks for your input!