Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Regions randomly nudging on their own accord!!

Hi there,

I have the oddest bug I have seen on any system, can someone please help me.
Audio regions are randomly moving, nudging back and forth without any interaction. The regions aren't selected and I'm not touching the keyboard. I know they are being nudged because I can undo the stream of nudges.

This is ruining sessions, and has made my system completely unpredictable, as I don't know if regions are randomly moving around and I haven't noticed some.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Regions randomly nudging on their own accord!!

mmmmmm - maybe you're in Shuffle mode?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Hi, are you in grid mode? Are the regions moving to the nearest grid mark? do you have a quantize function on?

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Thanks for replying to this RegenerationMix and daeron80, it's really appreciated.

I'm in slip mode. It's the oddest thing because the region(s if grouped tracks) aren't even selected to be so in theory can't be nudged.

Basically we are mixing and suddenly something (lets say the bass for example) goes out of time. We're not even touching the mouse or keyboard, just listening and the bass region is randomly moving back and forth amounts of the nudge value (e.g. 1/16th). It is definitely nudging because when I go to the edit dropdown I have to go through about 10-15 undo nudge commands.

Even more frustrating is that it is random, I can't recreate the occurance and so can't prove if I have gotten rid of the bug or not =S

We put the mac into apple to get the hardware checked and it came back that the graphics card (Nvidia 7300GT) had some dodgy capacitors. Apparently this can cause weird things to happen but it isn't a definitive answer to this issue, so I am currently performing a clean install of snow leopard and pro tools HD 9 to cover my bases.

According to avid these graphics cards are compatible with pro tools HD 9 but there were issues with pro tools 7. This page
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...539?popup=true
states the woodcrest and westmere mac pros are avid approved for Pro Tools HD 9, and they use Nvidia 7300GT cards, and coincidentally I am using a woodcrest.

I will let you know if things run smoothly, after the reinstall

Thanks again for your responses.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Cabletwitcher... Just so you know you're not the only one, I've had the exact problem that you've described. Mine is been happening on PT 10.3.2 with OS 10.7.5 on a MacPro 5.1. Other than the stock ATI Radeon 5770 video card, I have a Nvidia GT 120 to power a large screen LCD monitor for clients to view Quicktimes while I'm sweetening sound.
My issue seems to be related to the Quicktime playback as when I'm working in the part of the timeline that has the movie, it will randomly nudge around. If I'm out of the movie area of the timeline, seems to be normal.
Anyone else seen this?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM

That sounds like the kind of thing Andy used to do to mess with me over the network. This is kind of a shot in the dark, but have you tried hooking up a different keyboard? Maybe the + and/or - keys are sending unintended info. Or maybe there's a piece of software (quickkeys?) or another USB device that's mimicking those keystrokes?