Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 05:42 PM

Default Pro Tools First not recognizing Jam Plus interface

Before purchasing the Pro Tools upgrade, I'm trying to learn to use Pro Tools First.
I'm using an Apogee Jam Plus interface. But no matter what configuration I choose, PTF does not recognize my interface when I configure the Setup settings. Then, I can create a track, but when I select the input to use, my only choices are "Unknown," or the microphone for my Win 10 system, which is Realtek. Whichever I choose, Pro Tools does not detect a signal to record.

There is an additional problem, in that when I make changes on the Setup menu, a message pops up that says "When changes are made, Pro Tools will close your project and then reopen when you've finished making changes."
However, the project does close, but never does reopen again, and when I check on my Setup changes, they have reverted back to what they were previously.

In addition, when I make changes on the Setup menu, sometimes PTF just shuts down entirely.
Focusrite 2i2 interface
Old 11-07-2020, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First not recognizing Jam Plus interface

Welcome to DUC.

Pro Tools and some other DAWS on Windows rely on ASIO sound drivers, not the lower-capability WDM drivers that run of the mill Windows sound devices use. When looking for an interface for Pro Tool on Windows you really want one that comes with a vendor supplied ASIO driver.

The Jam+ does not have an ASIO driver. It relies on ASIO4ALL, a third party utility that wraps a Windows WDM audio driver and make it look like an ASIO driver. At best ASIO4ALL is a workaround, it might work fine for your needs, but in general not a great idea. Did you install ASIO4ALL on your system? And does the ASIO4ALL setup utility show ther Jam+... and make sure other applications and Window sound are *not* using the Jam+. And then when starting Pro Tools First hold down the 'N' key until you see the playback engine dialog and then select the Jam+ ASIO4ALL device... I'm not sure what exactly it will call it.

... but this is not a great idea. If it does not work well for you give up with the JAM+. My general advice is just run away from any of this crap that does not have a ASIO driver from vendor with a great reputation for providing good ASIO drivers (UAD, Motu, come to mind... but they make higher end interfaces than the Jam+).

Apogee is very much a Mac focused company, they make great products, I've got a Jam+ and use it on my Mac. It's pretty good, much better than most similar products. Apogee do a few lower end products with Windows support *BUT* I'd generally avoid their stuff if working on Windows. That they don't supply an ASIO driver for the Jam+ is yet another sign to avoid their stuff on Windows.

---

I would also disagree with your decision to spend time with Pro Tools First. Pro Tools First is pretty limited crippleware, including not supporting standard Pro Tools session on local storage, it only works with cloud based projects, and has earned a bad reputation for problems and reliability issues with those cloud based projects. Just search on DUC for all the folks having problems including losing their work. It's highly likely anybody you would collaborate with with Pro Tools will be doing so via sessions not cloud projects. Pro Tools First comes with a very very limited selection of Plugins. And you can't use most third party plugins in Pro Tools First, only a very limited selection you can purchase from the Avid marketplace.

The stupidity you are seeing with projects not reopening is likely associated with all the other problems folks see with First projects. A sign to just give up and throw First into the trash.

You can get a one month free evaluation of Pro Tools Ultimate. And then rent Pro Tools standard monthly (that uses the same software you installed for the trial just with the extra Ultimate features disabled). If you are serious about wanting to learn Pro Tools I would not waste time with First, get a iLok v3 license dongle and then enrol in the trial...and install you trial license on that dongle. And with Pro Tools subscription you also get access to the Pro Tools Complete Plugin Bundle that contain a good number of useful plugins... kind of closer to a good starting set for many uses... and can use all third party plugins (you are a guitar player, many players want to say use drum or synth VIs to accompany their work or guitar amp sims like Eleven II.. which is very nice and included in the bundle ... or many third party ones that you can't run on First).

If you just want to play around, and that is great, and are not so interested in Pro Tool then there is no need to limit yourself to Pro Tools First, I'd be especially looking at Reaper on Windows.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-08-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First not recognizing Jam Plus interface

Your advice has been extraordinarily helpful.
After having been a live performer some 25 or nearly 30 years ago, I find myself entering into a new world of composing, and I now see that my choice of the Jam+ interface was a choice out of naiveté. Aggravating how I have to learn a new musical world by making just plain dumb mistakes.
What would you say to this - I've been having perfectly good results from Audacity, primitive as it is. But I find it to be very easy. Sure, I have to go back and forth between Audacity and my Tascam DR-40. But at least I can get work done, and my time is spent more on capturing what I'm playing, rather than on sitting in front of my computer wrestling with a cantankerous DAW.
Thanks for your prompt, courteous and very helpful reply.
Focusrite 2i2 interface