Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-12-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Ilok insurance?

Do any of you have your ilok insured? If so with whom? And if so what is the best way to determine how much to insure it for? I would like to insure mine. thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Ilok insurance?

Ilok.com 30 bucks
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM

I don't think so!!

If I'm not mistaken, the 'zero downtime' scheme only gives you two weeks' grace, after which you are on your own. Hardly worth the bytes it's typed on. Best to add it to your equipment insurance for the full value of the plugs.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I think the gist of the question is what company will insure a highly mobile little piece of plastic for upwards of $30,000 in case it is lost or stolen -- which is definitely not covered by Pace under ZDT.

I have yet to find one.

Ray
Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM

Not that there is any solution listed, but here is a link to an excellent thread on the subject from the DUC.

For the record, I'm with Steve .
Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 PM

My ilok assets are covered under my musician's union (AF of M) musical instruments policy (I'm in Canada, so it may be different in the U.S. because the union insurance is issued by a different company I believe). I carry several thousand dollars of coverage on my ilok.

If you're not in the union, it's worth it just for the insurance. The insurance isn't super cheap, but the coverage is great: full replacement value for loss, damage, and theft.

Tim
Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 PM

i just got a policy with Zurich that combines liability, property, and lossed income. i made a point to ask about the iLok and my agent saw no reason it wouldn't be covered based on the wording of the policy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
i made a point to ask about the iLok and my agent saw no reason it wouldn't be covered based on the wording of the policy.
You might want to go another step up the ladder and get a confirmation from the home office that portable software assets are, in fact, covered in full. When I ask my insurance agent a question, I don't want to hear "saw no reason." I want to hear: "Yes, it's definitely covered."

Due to the unusual nature of iLok assets, you really want your agent to thoroughly understand what you're talking about, and get a definitive answer.

Those insurance contracts are huge. There's a lot of stuff in them, and most of it is NOT for your benefit. There are a lot of people out there who think they have software insured that will only discover that they aren't covered when they need to collect.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
i made a point to ask about the iLok and my agent saw no reason it wouldn't be covered based on the wording of the policy.
Yes I can hear it now..........

"iLok stolen.....mmm.......were you wearing cotton when you placed the policy?.......did the iLok always face to the north, were you aware that policies placed on a Friday are rewritten at the companies discretion on Mondays, was the iLok in the glove compartment, do you have a beard?" and if you answered yes........"oh i'm sorry it appears that we don't insure iLok owners with beards"

or if you answer no

"oh i'm sorry it appears that by not placing the iLok in the glove compartment your policy became invalid. Can I help you with anything else?" Have a nice day
Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You might want to go another step up the ladder and get a confirmation from the home office that portable software assets are, in fact, covered in full.
'

i will for sure.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.