Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Converting to MP3

I am new to this forum and totally new to Mac OS. My friend is a Pro Tools novice and has several projects he would like to share with me. However, he uses ProTools on his Mac, I use Ntrack on my PC.

I am very familiar with my software and the steps I need to go through to compress .wavs to .mp3s in order to be able to send them over the internet and, sometimes, post recordings on my website.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Mac OS and would like to know if anyone here can tell me how to get a ProTools finished product converted to mp3? Does ProTools use the .wav extension? Is 3rd party software necessary to perform the conversion? I currently use DbPowerAmp...will it work in ProTools as well?

I have to believe that it is possible to share ProTools projects with users of other software.

Really appreciate your help with this,

Thanks

cliff
Old 03-18-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Converting to MP3

You have a zillion ways to make MP3 files after you make your final mix (generally a .wav file) -- once your friend makes the final mix as a .wav, one way - use iTunes.

Another way, from within iTunes, you can use the LAME encoder.

As you must know, there are about 400 other ways to make MP3s. Try google if these 1st two ways are not to your liking.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I am very familiar with my software and the steps I need to go through to compress .wavs to .mp3s in order to be able to send them over the internet and, sometimes, post recordings on my website.

You don't have to use MP3's to send stuff via internet. You can send full res .wavs with www.yousendit.com (you can send up to a gig this way). You can even make a zip file of a whole record (stereo mixes) and send it with one upload. I just did this with a record that I mixed for a band on the other side of the country--my ftp was full with other ongoing projects, so we used yousendit.com to send files back and forth and it worked just fine.

Tim
Old 03-18-2006, 10:56 AM

If you already have iTunes, download this cool free AppleScript called "Drop a Few My Way", available from:
http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/sc...#dropafewmyway

I keep a copy in the dock, and just literally drop my WAV files on it...
It can do batch processing, and convert to any format iTunes supports.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:10 AM

Thanks everyone.

I just wasn't sure what format ProTools final mixes were in....
If they are in wav then, you are right, its no big deal converting to mp3.

Thanx again,

cliff