Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Protools 6.4.1 Crashing at startup

Hi guys,
Hoping some one can help me here b/c I'm stumped. I have 2 x G4 1.25 dual MDD machines. One is an exact clone of the other. I have 2 b/c I have been running a pro recording studio for 15 years now...8 using protools TDM, and having a backup is essential.

I was working in protools the other night on my main machine, I had just finished a track dump, saved and closed the session, then opened a different session. Protools crahsed while opening this session, which is not a rare occurance, but usually I just restart my comp and it comes back up again. So I did restart my comp....though I did need to hard restart it as it locked up. I have had to do this b4 but it always worked after i rebooted, this time it did not.
It seems to be crashing half way into startup while loading preferences. I make it past all of the plugins while loading but everyitme it crashes while loading preferences.

So I changed comps just to see if it was a hardware issue but my cloned system pulls up protools no problem. So I know its not a hardware issue, well.. at least with the cards and 888's anyways.

I tried changing the file "volume.ddb" in my digidesign databases folder renaming it to .old then restarting my comp and letting it rewrite a new file. This has worked before but no go this time.

I also tried re-seating all the cards and went as far as re-installing protools. still nothing.

I have disk warrior, all drives are fine and I used it to rewrite permissions. Still crashes in same spot.

I even saw a post the said if you unplug everything boot up and restart it will work...ya... I know what lame fix.... and no it didnt work.

What am I missing here?? Im almost positive this is a software issue but for the life of me I have no Idea whats going on and have tried everything I know to fix it.

System is G4 dual 1.25 MDD,OSX 10.3.9, 2GB of RAM, 1 Protools TDM Mix Core card with 3 Farm cards and a UAD-1 card in a PCI expansion chassis, 2 x 888, 24bit I/O, Control24. ( I did pull the UAD-1 card and tried to boot without it, still crashes in the same spot.)

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks guys
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Protools 6.4.1 Crashing at startup

I have an idea. Dont know if it will be a solution.
Can you clone the working g4 os to the non working one? I suppose this way you can rule out software issues.
Also, you could copy the session to a different drive. Since you say both systems are identical, I think the problem may be with the drive in one of them. i would not trust disk warrior for this kind of diagnosis.
Hope you can make it work, you already fixed a half of the problem by keeping a backup machine. Not being able to work would have been a much bigger problem.
Pepo
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Protools 6.4.1 Crashing at startup

Are you using Altiverb or other HTDM plugs or RTAS Autotunes in the session? I've had similar issues when there are Altiverb HTDM instances, especially if there are also RTAS plugs in the session (especially Autotune).

A couple things to try (try one at a time):

1. Delete Altiverb preferences
2. Delete Protools preferences
3. Move your plugins folder to your desktop (don't forget where it was!) and see if the session opens without plugins installed. This can help narrow down the problem. If it is a plugin issue and you have HTDM plugs in the session, remove just those plugs from the plugin folder. Open the session, remove those plugs from the session. Close session. Re-install those plugs. Try again.