How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Pt10hd with allen & heath gs24r

Hi,
Want to hear from anybody running pt10hd with the Allen & heath gs24r?
Currently running pt10hd with hd3 rig and a 192 interface. Considering changing to just run with the gs24r and their firewire interface card and ditching the hd3 cards and 192io.
Anyone got any experience with the quality of the interface AD/DA compared to the 192?
Obviously I understand I will loose TDM functionality but is there any other loss of function by ditching the digidesign hardware?
I am under the impression I may end up with better track counts as the hd3 cards limit me on this front. I do have some tdm plugs but can run them as rtas anyway and my computer is 8 core etc so should be fine with power/performance.Also the ADC should be better as well as this is also limited by the HD3 cards. Am I correct about this?
Never had a problem with the hd3 rig but just wanted an analogue desk and this has some decent DAW control too but unless I go with the analogue interface in the gs24 (I only have 8 in 8 out on the 192) I need to use the firewire interfcee (32 in and out) on the gs24 and wanted to check it all works ok with protools 10Hd first!!
Any comments/advice greatly received
Ian
Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Pt10hd with allen & heath gs24r

Hmmm lots of views but no comments?
Anyone using the Allen & Heath gs24r?
If so anyone care to comment on the quality of the FireWire card?
Anyone able to enlighten me on what functions I will loose if I ditch the had hardware with 10 Hd?
What will I gain in track count and ADC?
Many thanks

Ian
Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Wish I could try one of those. I currently run the Zed R16 and no issues with the FireWire
Mac OS X 10.9

"We might be morons but we're a bunch"
Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhol View Post
Hmmm lots of views but no comments?
Anyone using the Allen & Heath gs24r?
If so anyone care to comment on the quality of the FireWire card?
Anyone able to enlighten me on what functions I will loose if I ditch the had hardware with 10 Hd?
What will I gain in track count and ADC?
Many thanks

Ian
Re "quality of the firewire card"-its digital so there is no audio change as it is only moving one's and zero's

Functions you will lose -TDM processing(and MAYBE a handful of plugins that are not available in native format(RTAS).

Track count gain?-should be no change

ADC?-No change there, but you will have more latency while tracking. As to how much, tough to say. Will it matter? Again, tough to say as some people are more picky than others. With my 003 and the 64 buffer setting(also running 10HD software), I rarely hear any mention about latency during tracking(but I keep high-latency plugins inactive and ADC off while tracking). Depending on plugins, I often mix sessions of 80-100 tracks at 24/48.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Is it possible to run PTHD with a third party FW interface and no HD hardware (TDM/HDX/Native)?

I think you will only be able to run PT10 native.

But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 AM

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Re track counts the PCI cards (core and 2no process) limit my tracks to 96 maximum so I'm sure I will be able to achieve more (plugin/system dependent)

Re ADC I am limited to 4086 and believe protools 10HD is capable of higher settings?

Re Firewire Card - yes I understand it is digital but has anyone got any comparison of the ad/dA quality compared to a 192io?

Cheers

Ian
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 AM

Your HD software will still be utilized using 3rd party I/O's.
The I/O will be limited. The ADC will increase to 16000 or so in V10 (Without TDM)
You can try this now by holding N during Pro Tools Launch and choosing another interface (Core).

Find a dealer who has this mixer and Pro Tools the bring your HD license if they don't have one. All V10 V11 install have all the software variations. It's the license that determines what launches.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks Detroit.

I don't quite understand when you say "its the licence that determines what launches"? Does this mean there are different versions of HD10 that have different functions? I thought HD was Hd and had all the bells and whistles?

Ian
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhol View Post
Thanks Detroit.

I don't quite understand when you say "its the licence that determines what launches"? Does this mean there are different versions of HD10 that have different functions? I thought HD was Hd and had all the bells and whistles?

Ian
When you install Pro Tools, you are actually installing all variants. If you plug in an iLok with a PT10HD asset, Pro Tools will open as HD. If you plug in an iLok with a non-HD asset, Pro Tools will open as the non-HD version(and would ignore any HD hardware that was installed). My friend has regular Pro Tools 10 on his system. If I take my iLok(I run HD) to his place, it opens and runs as HD.

The feature differences are posted somewhere on the main Avid site. The 2 important things about running HD software without HD hardware are; you will be limited to 32 IO, and you will have no TDM processing. Input latency is determined by the interface connection(USB, firewire, Thunderbolt, PCIe). A modern powerful computer will handle tracking at a 32 or 64 buffer, which should be fine for tracking.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM

The HD license "unlocks" HD the features when you launch PT. Note that there's only one installer...what launches depends on what it "sees" on your I-lok authorization.