Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 AM

Default Re: internal sata drive doesn´t show up after restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
I wrote it in my first thread post: after the mac was completely shut down and then start (no matter from what system drive) all drives apear correctly. And there´s also no problem if I then restart from the same system drive again. All drives appear then, too. BUT if I restart the mac from the other system drive than that which is currently running (f.e. Sierra is active and then restart from Mavericks) this very WD 4TB drive doesn´t appear again. I noticed that the drive doesn´t spin up.I have to shut the mac down and restart to make it active again
You still haven't answered the question: which procedure are you using that gives the error? Or is it both procedures? Either way you need to reformat those WD drives to a proper OSX format.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You still haven't answered the question: which procedure are you using that gives the error? Or is it both procedures? Either way you need to reformat those WD drives to a proper OSX format.
Thanks musicman for trying to help me ... very appreciated !

There´s is only one procedure that gives that error, if I understand your question the right way: doing a restart from another system drive

I formatted the disk with disk utility as MacOS Journaled with Guid Partition Map- 1 Partition 4TB. Is there another way to do that ? I did it ever this way without errors.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-19-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks musicman for trying to help me ... very appreciated !

There´s is only one procedure that gives that error, if I understand your question the right way: doing a restart from another system drive

I formatted the disk with disk utility as MacOS Journaled with Guid Partition Map- 1 Partition 4TB. Is there another way to do that ? I did it ever this way without errors.
What is so hard to understand about the question: you have at least two methods by which you're selecting the startup drive. One is the script you downloaded from the net and the other is using the option key. And the third is selecting the startup drive in OSX system preferences which as you say in one startup drive you cant' select the other. Which of those methods is creating the problem where you can't see the WD drives? Or is it all methods create the problem?

If you did a proper format of those WD drives you shouldn't have a fat32 indication in the system report.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
What is so hard to understand about the question: you have at least two methods by which you're selecting the startup drive. One is the script you downloaded from the net and the other is using the option key. And the third is selecting the startup drive in OSX system preferences which as you say in one startup drive you cant' select the other. Which of those methods is creating the problem where you can't see the WD drives? Or is it all methods create the problem?

If you did a proper format of those WD drives you shouldn't have a fat32 indication in the system report.
okay ... now I know what you mean. No, there´s no difference. All methods create that problem

I will try to formatting the drive again and report what happenes

Thanks !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
I don't know why it is displaying an MS-DOS FAT32 Volume.

I would reformat as 1 partition.
Note: I hate the Sierra Disk Utility, so reboot into Mavericks.
Launch Disk Utility.
Select the actual mechanism.
Choose the Partition tab.
Create 1 Partition - Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

See if that gets rid of that weird EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) & POOL 2 split.
That's the EFI partition.. as the name clearly says, perfectly normal. Leave it damn well alone.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I run a dualboot system (Mavericks / Sierra), both on a dedicated internal ssd. I bought a new internal hard drive (Western Digital WD Black 4TB) for Libraries / Samples.

After starting the mac all disks show up but if I choose to restart from the other system-drive the Western Digitak Disk doesn´t mount and it´s not shown in the disk utility, too. I have to shut the mac down. Then after rebooting all disks are back again. Also if I do a restart but not changing the startup disk the disk comes up without problems. So the problem only occurs by doing a restart by switching the system drive.

Does someone have any advice how to fix this issue ?

Thanks in advance
Well the issue is either the drive or the operating system/actual mount command trying to mount it. Since the drive mounts OK on another OS instance you know it's likely not the drive. So trying to reformat it, or worse mess with EFI partitions etc. is all likely a waste of time.

Does Disk Utility show the disk partitions greyed out? or not at all? Make sure they are not "hidden" in the disk utility UI. Does the boot disk and any other drives show up OK there? Does System Information see the disk under SATA? (if not it's not a mount issue).

When you say the drive is not mounted exactly how are you telling that? Icon just not showing up on the desktop? Or what else *exactly*?

Paste here all the output from the "diskutil list" and "mount" commands run in Terminal.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
When you say the drive is not mounted exactly how are you telling that? Icon just not showing up on the desktop? Or what else *exactly*?
If you go back to the first post you'll see he doesn't see the drive in diskutil. And depending on how he has Finder preferences set the drives won't be seen on the Desktop.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If you go back to the first post you'll see he doesn't see the drive in diskutil. And depending on how he has Finder preferences set the drives won't be seen on the Desktop.
Please, just let him answer. I understand the finder disk behavior, I want him to tell us what he is seeing.

I am not asking about the disk utility app, and I already asked about disambiguating that... are partitions grayed out? Or internal disks hidden? Etc.

I am simply asking for the full text output of the diskutil command. In part to avoid those ambiguities, and to see more.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Please, just let him answer. I understand the finder disk behavior, I want him to tell us what he is seeing.

I am not asking about the disk utility app, and I already asked about disambiguating that... are partitions grayed out? Or internal disks hidden? Etc.

I am simply asking for the full text output of the diskutil command. In part to avoid those ambiguities, and to see more.
Well excuse me for answering but your question of where he was not seeing the drives was answered in his first post.

QAPLA!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well excuse me for answering but your question of where he was not seeing the drives was answered in his first post.
It’s easy to hide drives in the disk util GUI, at least recent versions. Which can cause lots of confusion. I do not know if the OP knows that or exactly what he is seeing, and neither do you. The way to stop dealing with all the uncertainty in this thread that comes from people describing what they see is go to the underlying information in a command line utility. Hard to read screen shots don’t really cut it either.