Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Avid wants access to my iLok account??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Not trying to be snarky but Avid doesn't seem able to deposit their OWN assets in their OWN user accounts - how can we trust them with a 3rd party account?

(Still no PT12 in my account)
You do Snarky very well .. without trying
Old 09-05-2015, 05:19 AM

Reviving an old thread as I'm being asked by iLok (via Avid) to authorise Avid to have access to my iLok account (I apparently need to enter my iLok username and password to do this during the checkout process for my PT11 - 12.2 upgrade).

Is this now compulsory ... or should I just wait and buy from Sweetwater (would this get the asset deposited in my Avid account without granting such access to Avid?)

Thanks! :)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Reviving an old thread as I'm being asked by iLok (via Avid) to authorise Avid to have access to my iLok account (I apparently need to enter my iLok username and password to do this during the checkout process for my PT11 - 12.2 upgrade).

Is this now compulsory ... or should I just wait and buy from Sweetwater (would this get the asset deposited in my Avid account without granting such access to Avid?)

Thanks! :)
Its normal dont worry about it.
You will still have to go thru the same procedure if you go via Sweetwater.

Now that being said, once you have done this and got the licences etc, you will see on your Avid Master account (bottom right) that the ilok account is now linked. I do not wish to have my ilok account permanently linked with Avid, so i unlinked it afterwards (this was back when posting in this thread)
I went thru this same procedure again a couple of days ago with PT12.2.
iirc you cannot just click the linked tab in your Avid Master account. You need to click on the ilok tab in that area (or go to ilok) then navigate within ilok to unlink it with Avid.
As i say it worked fine last time around but this time when i went back to my Avid account it still shows it as linked. I was going to shoot Avid a mail after the weekend to find out why it has not unlinked this time around.
I would rather enter my ilok details and give permission each time... rather than have them both linked permanently.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Its normal dont worry about it.
You will still have to go thru the same procedure if you go via Sweetwater.

Now that being said, once you have done this and got the licences etc, you will see on your Avid Master account (bottom right) that the ilok account is now linked. I do not wish to have my ilok account permanently linked with Avid, so i unlinked it afterwards (this was back when posting in this thread)
I went thru this same procedure again a couple of days ago with PT12.2.
iirc you cannot just click the linked tab in your Avid Master account. You need to click on the ilok tab in that area (or go to ilok) then navigate within ilok to unlink it with Avid.
As i say it worked fine last time around but this time when i went back to my Avid account it still shows it as linked. I was going to shoot Avid a mail after the weekend to find out why it has not unlinked this time around.
I would rather enter my ilok details and give permission each time... rather than have them both linked permanently.
Thank you Jay!

I guess this is compulsory then - will bear in mind when I try to get my 12.2 upgrade again.

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Thank you Jay!

I guess this is compulsory then - will bear in mind when I try to get my 12.2 upgrade again.

Cheers!

The reason Avid added this feature is to reduce the number of "I sent my license to a wrong or nonexistent ilok account." support calls. By linking your account, it makes the transfer of licenses less risky.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 AM

I guess people are wary of recent changes to licensing, terminology (like perpetual licences) and such. Previously, yiu knew that an iLok asset, once activated, couldn't be removed by the manufacturer but, without reading new T&Cs - with the addition of subscriptions and the risk of having the wrong assets cancelled (you might recall some assets being removed when it turned out that some had been sold on wrongly), not surprising that allowing access to Avid might be a concern.

Anyway, I'm in the very-happy-with-Avid's-recent-coming-to-their-senses camp so just looking forward to getting hold of 12.2. It would be nice to hear from someone from Avid to put our minds at ease in this iLok issue, although Jay's comments mean this won't prevent me from updating.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Way way back when I first encountered this, after linking during the process to get my PT12 license, I asked regarding unlinking, and was old by someone at Avid that it is not possible 'at this time'.

I then asked what happens if you have more than one iLok account and decide to buy/rent an asset that you want deposited in that other iLok account instead of the linked one. Didn't get an answer, although to be fair I didn't follow it up at all.

I'd prefer it 'unlinked' if possible, but that's the question .... is it possible? Seems like it might be from the reports above talking about being able to revoke Avid's access rights from within iLok License Manager.

I'll be checking that out, but it would be very helpful if someone from Avid could clarify if its now possible to unlink from the Avid end of the link.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Its done from the ilok account >>edit profile>>account profile>> and there was deffo an option there this time around (as with the previous time)… i used the option to confirm unlinking. Its not unlinked at Avid though and now the option is not there at ilok.
Personally as i,m not pro i prefer unlinking, so i wont be leaving it as it is.
I,m leaving it for a while as it may be that something else has to be added during a soft roll out/holidays..(it can only be plug ins)
Each to their own on this i suppose.