Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Buying & Selling HD Cards

I just got a deal too good to pass on for an entire system. Mac G5 2.5 Ghz x 2 with an HD 3 Core and the two accel cards with many other items. Everything works and passes DigiTest. Now, I'd like to part out the PC to sell the cards separate. I was told by the engineer that the cards are extremely fragile and they need to be re-programed in order to be installed in another machine. I'm aware the registration needs to be transferred, which wont be a problem, but is there any truth to this? What are the general rules in buying and selling the HD cards. I was under the impression that they are just like any other PCI or PCIe card that you install, no special programming required. But I told told otherwise. I'd really appreciate any answers, I know I'm new to the forum and all, but I don't want to fry a card or something like that. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Buying & Selling HD Cards

You'll be fine. No reprogramming necessary. Just take the standard precautions regarding static electricity.
Control 24 - 96io - 1622
OSX 10.6.8 - PTHD 10.3.10
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Oh, and welcome to the DUC!
Control 24 - 96io - 1622
OSX 10.6.8 - PTHD 10.3.10
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Just resell them. If the buyer wants support they will ned the transfer of ownership paper work.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Thank you guys, that's what I was thinking. I'm really not sure what the person I bought the gear from was talking about. I tried to call digidesign before coming here, but I couldn't find any number after about an hour of searching online, oh well. On a different note, I wish this wasn't a business investment, I just bought the system to resell. I setup the system last night, and because of space and money issues I can't really record well with it, but it's so tempting. I'm probably going to keep the monitors and avalon tube preamp I got from the deal, well see. For now I'll stick to going to our cheap local ProTools (not HD) studio.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivamyrevolution View Post
For now I'll stick to going to our cheap local ProTools (not HD) studio.
If you spend a good bit of time (and money) at that studio you could possibly cut a deal with them for some cash and a LOT of studio time. I can't imagine that they would not drool at such a deal. just a thought.. good luck, ff
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
If you spend a good bit of time (and money) at that studio you could possibly cut a deal with them for some cash and a LOT of studio time. I can't imagine that they would not drool at such a deal. just a thought.. good luck, ff
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I might try to visit a few local studios including that one just to test the waters.