Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-09-2002, 01:04 AM

Default Im releasing a Pro Tools cd!!!

Check it out.
On my current recording Project, I am going to include a Pro Tools Free session of one of the songs.
The CD will be a regular audio CD, but will also include a session!
If you put the cd in a mac, you can open op a Pro Tools Free session with 8 tracks: drum sub mix, bass, guitar, Keys, perc, VOX, back VOX, and a "misc other track".
Pretty Nifty , eh?
Old 11-09-2002, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Im releasing a Pro Tools cd!!!

What in the world for?
Old 11-09-2002, 02:27 AM

I'd check with digidesign first, I'm sure there's always some kind licencing or permission needed to distribute software on CD from a 3rd party. I know it's free but I don't believe it's free in the same way as public domain software.

It's still a cool idea though
Old 11-09-2002, 02:37 AM

I'm no lawyer, but he's not doing anything illegal.

If he was including the ProToolsFree application program on his CD, then obviously he would have DigiDesign's legal team breathing down his neck faster than you could say "when is protools 6 coming out ?"

All he's doing is inlcuding a saved session file which he made. Certainly, there can't be anything wrong with that.
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 04:15 AM

Quote:
What in the world for?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To confuse you.
Quote:
I'd check with digidesign first, I'm sure there's always some kind licencing or permission needed to distribute software on CD from a 3rd party. I know it's free but I don't believe it's free in the same way as public domain software.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, Im not including the app, just the session file. You can open it in FREE or LE or TDM.
I would love to get music I bought in multitrack form...wouldnt you?

Sample away!!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 04:59 AM

[/QUOTE] I would love to get music I bought in multitrack form...wouldnt you?
QB][/QUOTE]

I've had this dream for a long time. I always wanted to be able to buy CD singles that had a little gimicky app on it (enhanced CD) that would open up a mixing board with all the instruments used in the song. This would be great for remixing purposes.
Everything That's Fly
Old 11-09-2002, 06:53 AM

I think it's a great idea. I don't think I'd put it on the same CD but when I finish my CD I want to make some of the files available as well.

C
Old 11-09-2002, 10:04 AM

it would be cool to release a CD of sessions only. that way you could avoid the expense of mixing and mastering, but also it's a cool idea that fits into the idea of free rock & roll - the listener would be free to mix the songs however they want. it also is inspiring me to think up a lot of cool titles for it. thanks for the idea. rock on (anti-Coors)
Old 11-09-2002, 10:26 AM

a band called milemarker sort of did this recently on their newest release, 'the satanic verses' (on jade tree records). they're a 'dark wave' synth based hardcore band who are actually pretty good. they included cd-extra information with videos and other **** and then, in addition, put SDII files of some tracks (i don't have the ep so i don't know what instruments they were) and mentioned on their website that you could use them in protools free or something like it. i think this would probably be the way to go as long as you had consolidated tracks that you could drag from an audio files folder. that way you could use the files along with other digital editing programs as well...

i do really like the idea behind this cos i can't tell you how much i'd enjoy being able to fool around with individual tracks of music that i like to listen to but had no other involvement with (no 'how do i make this band happy with this mix?' or 'why the **** did i record this that way?')
Old 11-10-2002, 01:45 AM

I know Todd rundgren did something like a "remix" project on on of his recordings. I dont remember how or to what degree. BEck also made individual tracks available on the web.
THe inclusion of a Pro tools free version (LE and TDM can open it as well) should be welcomed addition to Digidesign. As more people become competent computer users, the chance to "remix" with a PRo app for free should get visitors to download PT FREE.
On the other hand, PT FREE hasnt been much of a priority for Digi. Even the current read me states " in our next update", which never came.
Ive made the FREE session for the song im using. THe only remaining question is do I go through the hassle of making a PC version? Ughh!.