How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Avid Pro Mixing Blog: Mick Guzauski on S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Hi Ricardo, We will be adding Layouts and Custom Faders to the S6 in the future. We can't comment on a date because of being a publicly traded company.
In the meantime - try to get a demo and see the console in person. The color coding and matrix view present a new way to navigate that may appeal to you.
Thanks,
Tom
HI Tom. Thanks for replying. Well terrible news have you sent me. I`m all ready an owner o the new S6, I guess I`m the first one to America Latina, or at least to brazil, having bought mine just before the end of september...

I sure I did ever imagine that the layout mode will be out of S6 since it is part of the Eucon protocol all ready...

Sorry to tell you that even before have received the console I`m all ready frustrated... Since Layouts are a deep aspect of my workflow. I have seen the matrix videos, and the ideia of being scrolling in one touchscreen to find tracks isn`t really something that pleased me.

What really make difference is to hit a button and have all of my desired tracks disposed at the faders, every time at the same spot. Like DX TRACKS... EFX TRACKS.... MX TRACKS... Etc... Every time at one button hit, every time in the same order in the same place... The option to have BLANK FADERS....

I`m all ready using color coding...and it did not change the need to layouts... sory to tell you. I`m one quite young guy, really used to the wonders of touch tech, but you simple take out one of my favorite and important features....

I hope you take note and put it on top of your "wish list from users". And I ended not regretting to be an early adopter, and supporter... I`m now remembering all people that tell to wait a little bit...

best
ricardo.
-----
Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 AM

Ricardo,
My understanding is that the schedule for the updates is very aggressive so I don't think you'll have long to wait.

Have you gotten a delivery date yet? All the units that have been shown are prototypes so I am curious when you were told the shipping product would be available?

Drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Ricardo,
My understanding is that the schedule for the updates is very aggressive so I don't think you'll have long to wait.

Have you gotten a delivery date yet? All the units that have been shown are prototypes so I am curious when you were told the shipping product would be available?

Drew
Hi Drew, I was at a blink of buying on D-Command, when the avid guy here in Brazil, approach me with an N.D.A., just 2 weeks before the launch of S6 at IBC. He show`s me some specs, some 3D modelling of the console, and tell me to wait a little bit because the Icon line was finished and that will be a match of price at some level.

I wait. They release, people post videos, etc… They "pressure" me to make the deal as soon as possible and so... at the end of september I signed a check to buy - what would be probably the first to South America(maybe), but definitivelly the first in brazil…

The delivery date? Probably mid-january… no exact date until now…
But I`m actually very frustrated with the abscence of layouts…
-----
Old 11-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
Hi Drew, I was at a blink of buying on D-Command, when the avid guy here in Brazil, approach me with an N.D.A., just 2 weeks before the launch of S6 at IBC. He show`s me some specs, some 3D modelling of the console, and tell me to wait a little bit because the Icon line was finished and that will be a match of price at some level.

I wait. They release, people post videos, etc… They "pressure" me to make the deal as soon as possible and so... at the end of september I signed a check to buy - what would be probably the first to South America(maybe), but definitivelly the first in brazil…

That's quite a leap of faith, I'm sure they won't let you down. Maybe layouts will be there in some form by late January?? That's 2 months away, it's possible. Try to stay positive.

I did a similar thing with Barefoot Monitors back in 2006. Put down money before there was a shipping product!! And that was for a 2 man start up company, not a multi million dollar corp like Avid!!

I wish you the best with your purchase.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:

D-command doesn't have layouts either.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Avid

Quote:

Layouts will be coming in a software update later after we ship. That being said, to echo Tom, using the Track Matrix to navigate sessions is so easy on this console. It really is freeing to not have to set anything up and just start working. We know layouts are important. And we will get there. I think you will be surprised how easy this new method is to work.

Gil
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimidi View Post
Layouts will be coming in a software update later after we ship. That being said, to echo Tom, using the Track Matrix to navigate sessions is so easy on this console. It really is freeing to not have to set anything up and just start working. We know layouts are important. And we will get there. I think you will be surprised how easy this new method is to work.

Gil
Gil, gotta stop you right there. Layouts are faster then anything any matrix view can provide. I have macros programmed into my artist that call up layouts and track show hide AT&T he same time. Doing that really feels like, with one button, switching the entire pt system to anther entire workflow. I don't just use layouts to navigate. Layouts are extremely powerful
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I don't just use layouts to navigate. Layouts are extremely powerful
Sounds like you're going to get both Layouts AND the matrix. win win.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Gil, gotta stop you right there. Layouts are faster then anything any matrix view can provide. I have macros programmed into my artist that call up layouts and track show hide AT&T he same time. Doing that really feels like, with one button, switching the entire pt system to anther entire workflow. I don't just use layouts to navigate. Layouts are extremely powerful
I didn't say layouts were not powerful and we will be adding them to S6. I just said that navigating with the matrix on S6 is very fast in its own right. I have been a ICON and EUCON power user and custom faders and layouts are very important workflow tools to be sure. It might not work for everyone, but you should try it. It is another great tool in the arsenal.

Gil
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimidi View Post
I didn't say layouts were not powerful and we will be adding them to S6. I just said that navigating with the matrix on S6 is very fast in its own right. I have been a ICON and EUCON power user and custom faders and layouts are very important workflow tools to be sure. It might not work for everyone, but you should try it. It is another great tool in the arsenal.

Gil
Hi Gil, thanks for your reply, thanks to taking in to consideration "my leap of faith" on this product as someone said.

Well I`m all ready bought it, so I guess I did not have how to comeback. Of course I will try the matrix. I did not know how it works, but for me, I`m sure you allready understand my fear, it is a question of did not have to think about search tracks, but just click a button and have it where I do want it.

You can image one working with 100, 150 tracks having to dig around to find tracks and not being sure where did this track will be layout on the console. For a cinema re-recording enginner there is nothing more exausting and embarassing than being searching tracks in the surface...

Well let`s go, but I`m wating really hard for the come back of the layouts feature. Taking the opportunitie to ask to a fast way to do it, maybe something like [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] +selecting tracks -> make layout command! It will be great.

My kind regards
Ricardo
-----