Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Default crackle w/volume control

I have a command 8 that I use with a digi 002 rack. I send my audio L/R out thru the "main out" of the rack, and into the main L/R of the command 8, and then out to the monitors. I do this because it's easier to use the volume control on the command 8 than for me to reach all of the way to the 002 rack to adjust with the "monitor level" dial.

my problem is that when I adjust the volume knob on the command 8, there is a slight crackle sound out of my left speaker, but only when the knob is moving. There are no audio problems besides, this -- I still get a clean signal -- it just gets lets out a scratchy sound when i deflect the knob. I troubleshooted the problem (it's not the cable; i also switched the left and right outputs, and the same thing happened in the right speaker.) It's clearly something related to the command 8. Does anyone know what it could be?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 AM

Default Re: crackle w/volume control

A defective pot, it's one of the flaws in that particular production run. I have the same thing, and a friend of mine too. He sent the C|8 in for repair (it was still under warranty) and it came back with a new pot and has never had that issue anymore...
Mine is out of warranty...I'm tempted to open it up and replace the volume pot myself...I guess it's not too big of a deal...it must be a few soldering points and that's it...you just have to find a pot with the same exact specs as the original.

Hope this helps

L.G.