Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Back from hiatus?

Hello all. I've been gone for a long time....not just from the forum but also from music. Several things rocked my world that I had to take a break from it. Some of that was a few industrial accidents, which are finally being settled. I will hopefully have a small settlement in the not too distant future, that I want to put back into music.....dial out my studio.

While I was still at it, I actually bought an Apollo 8 Quad but when I got it home I found it required OS11 (I think) and my Mac Pro would not go beyond OS10.6 or so. Plus no Thunderbolt. So I had to take it back.

Now....I want to purchase a new computer, interface, possibly Pro Tools 12....and a couple really good mic's.

So my long winded question is......which way should I go? What desktop computer, interface and Pro Tools version would you recommend?

You can see from my signature what I have currently. I still have my MBPR laptop, but it's the studio computer I want to change...the Mac Pro. Maybe I'll use the laptop as a slave for Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Not sure I like the trash can Mac Pro's. What's that leave.....8-core or 12-core Mac Pro old style? iMac? I like the idea of all my drives being internal...but I'm open to what is working for you folks.Budget around $2,000 or higher. Not opposed to used.

I don't want to compromise if possible and want to get something very good in an interface, excellent pre's and perhaps around $2500 budget.

Obviously if something is excellent and less than these amounts.....I'd prefer to spend less.....but not anything to the point of compromising the quality. I may even have to spend more.....I don't know....I haven't been keeping up so I have no clue what is hip these days. I'm sure I'm looking at paid upgrades for much of my software also.

Thanks folks.....looking forward to reading your suggestions.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)