How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Default 4 Artist Mix + DP7.24 on Mac

Hello,

i'm designing a new post room around DP7 running on a 2011 MMS under OS 10.7

How would 4 Artist Mix with EuCon perform with DP7?

Any real world experiences?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Re: 4 Artist Mix + DP7.24 on Mac

Hey Martin-LPF,

It appears that the Artist Mix is indeed compatible with Digital Performer. You can check its compatibility here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/arti...specifications

As for any real world experience, I can't help because I'm a Pro Tools guy mostly, but I can say that the EuControl software works great on OS X 10.7.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 AM

Same here...

But, I would add a Transport to that setup. 3-4 Mix units is good for overview, but the Transport speeds up the workflow. I can place 36 tracks on separate faders and that is practical - but the unit I use ALL the time in all programs, be it PT, FCPX or Logic and even Safari is the cheap Transport. (Just set aside a few hours to program it with macros according to your needs...)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM

+1 for the taking time to program macros. Really helpful.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM

TAPSpace : thanks. I know DP is supported.

GW : i've look into the Transport but i'm so used to the numeric keypad that one is integrated into the desk's design. This desk has to feel more like a console as i don't like to work with a screen / mouse / keyboard.

The new room will have the DAW's screen / mouse / keyboard on a portable unit that i can put next to me when editing and roll out when mixing.

Still doing some research before pulling the trigger.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Hahaha... and now I come off as a nagging old lady.

Don´t look on the numeric keypad as a numeric keypad - see it as storage space for macros. Take the craziest macro chain of commands you can find preprogrammed into the Control unit that you just know that you will use a lot. Then store this macro to No 7 up left and the second most useful on No 9 and you will have saved a lot of keystrokes and mouse movements each time you perform that specific task. It's even quicker then key commands.
Since this unit was´nt expensive, I bought it mostly for the "fun-factor" - but I have since changed my mind and this is more the way I would describe it's usefulness...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM

Hey Martin,

Sorry if I posted redundant information, I wasn't quite sure how much you knew about the Artist series.

In answer to your second comment though, if you like to push the keyboard and mouse away when you go in to mix mode, I might seriously consider either an Artist Transport, or an Artist Control. Because the Artist Mix is a really versatile device but I don't think its a keyboard or "input command device" (things like Xkeys, etc.) replacement. I think the only thing that can really help you hide the keyboard and mouse would be to have something like an Artist Control that has functions of your DAW on keys (or soft keys). It will help you get greater control over your automation, get to different parts of your mix, and can even allow you to set up layouts and possibly snapshots (I don't know if that is a feature in DP).

Sorry for the paragraph, but after I read how you wanted to work with the interface I wanted to mention how I think it could be good to have something besides just Artist Mixes.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 AM

I highly recommend you test before you buy in your exact environment - at this time the product fails to work in some environments, but works seemingly fine on other machines. In many other cases it works to an extent but with varying severity of bugs.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM

GW and TAPSpace : other than the scroll wheel i don't what's the difference between this and a 25$ USB numeric keypad. 375$ can buy some nice wine you know

Jokes aside i do all my macros on the numeric keypad anyway. It does look better though.

Herbieoz : this is my problem. No one in town has them in stock. Having one would be lucky........2 or more......i'll never know.

And to add on top of that.....another thread in the forum about new versions of the Artist serie?

Damn AVID. The Yamaha DM2000 has become another option now...