Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Default 4 aweful years, will this actually work!??? (compatibility)

Will this work with protools 7.4 with a digi002 rack? I've had the rack since 2004 and never got to properly use it since two of my laptops were incompatible. it's been a stressful 4 years and since digi003 came out recently, i feel soooo stupid!

Now that I saved up for a DAW on a certain website ($2,500) i'm looking to invest in something that will work for sure, but then I found this desktop, it's affordable, and seems to have more power than what the other DAW sites had to offer!

(If any one knows about avid xpress pro, please let me know if this is good for both musical recording and video editing. i know avid xpress pro isn't available for vista yet...)

thanks!

Dell Desktop System - $959

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS
Intel 975XBX2KR Intel 975x, Socket 775, ATX Viiv Ready
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Processor
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB DDR2 PCIe Graphics Card
7.1 Channel Audio
1394 Fire Wire 1x 1394a, 2x 1394b

160GB OS/System Drive
320GB Audio Drive (Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200RPM)
320GB Video Drive (Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200RPM)

16x DVD +/- RW

There isn't a mention of which Dell model it is, but i can get this system for $959.
by the way, this desktop is not offered at the dell website, but at a local computer store

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Re: 4 aweful years, will this actually work!??? (compatibility)

over 30 views and not one reply? somebody please help me out. i want to record music and not deal with a cheap 4track.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Why not buy an approved computer?
For the grand you're gonna spend on a Dell (The McDonald's of computers), you could build (or have built) a machine that would run like a top.
Or maybe you want to spend another 4 years wishing you had the right computer?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM

i agree with ej. search for the quadzilla thread or the intel quad thread.very powerful computers that run protools very well and everyone here will help you get up and running

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...7&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM

i read through it and what every one is recommending in that other topic is exactly what the dell has to offer. In fact the Dell is better than most of the machines listed in that other page. I don't think you guys even read the specs i listed above, but thanks for that link any way.

i think i'll go with the mcdonalds of computers considering it is beefed up with 2 Seagate Barracuda 320 SATA HD, total of 3 HD, has the Intel Q6600 Processor, etc... may be i'll repost my question in that forum.

thanks for your guys input though
Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 4 aweful years, will this actually work!??? (compatibili

You really need to make sure the 975 chip is compatible by reviewing the red COMPATIBILITY link at the top of this page.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM

why do people get mad when they ask for advice, and don't get the answer they want? Why ask the question? They are right, you are much safer going the "approved" route. It doesn't matter how beefed up the dell is, if the chipset won't work. (You also don't know what brand the firewire card has on it. ) It's like having a Ferrari with no gas. PCs and protools are very fickle.

Quote:
Now that I saved up for a DAW on a certain website ($2,500) i'm looking to invest in something that will work for sure, but then I found this desktop, it's affordable, and seems to have more power than what the other DAW sites had to offer!
If you want the one that works for sure, buy what others have bought. Or buy the one that you want and if it works, than post that on the other post.

They are just trying to help.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
(If any one knows about avid xpress pro, please let me know if this is good for both musical recording and video editing. i know avid xpress pro isn't available for vista yet...)
Avid Express is not designed for any musical intentions. Its a video editing suite (a very good one at that) with audio editing features, that is you can record and edit (on a very primitive level) and then export to Pro Tools to do the final stages of the mix...thats how it was designed...
Old 02-28-2008, 02:37 AM

It's true. It's like you've decided to buy that machine, and want folks to tell you it'll be OK.
What motherboard and chipset does it have? What firewire controllers? Those are some of the real questions.
Simply stating the socket, the processor, and the size of the hard drives isn't enough.
Go to the shop, hook that overpriced beast up to the internet, and post a Sandra report here on the DUC from it. THEN folks could get specific about why buying it for Pro Tools would or would not be a mistake, rather than just offering general cautions.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 AM

Audio computers are NOT about what you want to work and then feel good about it---it's about what DOES work that others know works and knowing it will work so you will feel good about it. As a consumer, we make our minds up first---then try to justify it later. Sorry, but in digital audio that will get you in serious trouble FAST. Off the shelf computers are NEVER ideal options---build your own or have a professional build you a great computer. It's more than specs, it's more than following a few rules, it's way more than that.