How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Default Mojave Refuses To Shut Down or Restart

Hey guys!

This is a problem that's been plaguing me since Mojave came out...we have several 2012 Macbook Pro 15" rigs as well as a 2018 Mac Mini 6 core on Mojave with all fresh installs. 80% of the time, if these rigs have been running or network stuff has been sent over from system to system, they will hang on a blackscreen on shutdown or restart. I've read a bazillion things on what this could be, but can't seem to track it down and always have to force shutdown...which will eventually damage and kernel panic these systems. The only major thing that's remotely similar between them is an original silverface Apollo Twin duo with latest drivers installed on each one. I've uninstalled that, but it seems like the shutdown problems still happen.

Has anyone seen issues like this? We'd never had problems like this ever on all 30 of the other macs and older OS's we've used over the last 2 decades, so it's quite mind boggling...

Any help much appreciated!! (Catalina not an option, for obvious reasons!)
Thanks,
Sig
Old 02-27-2020, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Mojave Refuses To Shut Down or Restart

Had a similar (or perhaps the same) issue. MBP Late 2011.

There was a file that was taken out by a technician that fixed it. He laid it on my desktop. Been looking for it but can't find it.

As I recall the (osx) file was governing what programs that should autostart or terminate or something like that. And that it was put there by protools. And that it stemmed from an unsupported combination of OSX/PT versions.

Sorry about the vagueness of my reply. This was several years ago and I tap into memory only. Couldn't find the file or any notes.

I'd check OSX/PT version compatibility.

/FZZ

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info! One of the systems doesn't actually even have Pro Tools (one of the 2012 Macbook Pro systems) - it has only Logic Pro X...

Anyone else know more about this?!

Much appreciated!!
Sig

Last edited by Siegfried Meier; 02-27-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:47 PM

what midi devices do you have installed? Mojave has issues with korg drivers for example.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:37 PM

Hmmmm none that I can think of on those 3 rigs? I use an Maudio Uno at times, but those are class compliant and have no drivers...
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 AM

It was a shot in the dark as I have never ever had such an issue and I have so many things hanging off my imac pro you'd think I was mad if I told you. Basically, 5 different hubs, with 3 devices directly connected to the back of the imac, and about 55 connected to hubs. It all works and restarts every time. Class compliant absolutely 100% not the problem.. it is some other kext in the system that is not playing nice.

I know it might be a PITA but we have to work out exactly what's installed that is causing this..and just to rule out a hardware issue, you might as well hold down D and run a system hardware check next boot.

If all works ok when you are IN Mojave though, I am 100% betting on a rogue kext or resident program.

Don't shoot me, but consider also downloading malware bytes free or free bit defender virus scanner from app store, updating definitions and doing full scan. It's possible there's adware.. Macs are not immune.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Try this:
On startup, hold Command + V to enter verbose mode.
Now you will see what process is hanging up
, when you shut down.