Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Success Story

So, I see a million, well, not a million, but at least one hundred posts out here of folks having issues, but I'm here to say I'm very happy with my 003 and PT LE, iMac 2.45 setup.

I've gone through the DVD that came with the software. My only complaint is that he talks about a previous revision of LE and has an OO2. Also, the instructor references a lot of plugin's that are not included with my pack.

So here is what I've been able to do. I did a remake instrumental version of Eric Clapton's Badge. On my Roland Fantom, using the 16 track sequencer I did all the drums and keys.

I got all the midi stuff setup. My Fantom will play the instrument plugin's in LE and LE will start and stop my Fantom Sequencer...

I must admit that the pre-amps are the best I've ever heard. I set a SM57 in front of my Dr. Z Z-Best 2x12 cab. Fired up my Dr. Z Maz 38 amp head. I have an attenuator (Airbrake) to keep the power output of the amp at a bedroom level.

Normally on my old VS-1880, bedroom level wouldn't cut the mustard. The amps always sounded like they were in a box.... Not with 003! The recording playback was exactly how my amp sounds to my ears. The sound quality is unbelievable!

Plugged my fretless bass into the DI, pulled up the Joe Meek comp and away I went. Then the lead track (instead of vocals). Did some scrubbing, cutting, editing... I love the Reverse effect!
I took one piece I played regular way and then put the same piece behind it and set it to reverse.

Then mix down, and master. It was so easy. The things I did would have taken months to do with my old 1880. The thing that amazed me was I inported an avi of the ocean that I took earlier as a .wav file and used it for another song!

So, I have to say, despite all the user issues, I have to admit, I'm totally impressed. The 003 is nice, but PT is so easy to use, I almost feel that a control surface isn't needed... but I'm sure that will change as I get more comfortable with the control surface.

pg
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Success Story

I'm glad to see a success story about the 003, especially about how the preamps sound. I have been wondering about all of the negative posts I am seeing.

My small success story is that I downloaded 7.3 last night to run my Mbox1 on a G4 ibook and it works perfectly, even without the 7.3.1 update. I'll save my gig money for the 003R. Till then, it's 2 channels at a time for me......

PS I have worked my way up from PT Free on Win98 and a Dell laptop to an AMIII card with 5.1 on Win98 and a Dell tower to a Digi001 with 6.4 on OSX and a G4 Sawtooth and now 7.3 on an ibook with OSX. I always read the requirements carefully and picked out the system based on Digi recommendations, even the Dell Latitude that I very successfully ran PT Free on. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I have never had any of the problems other folks are running into. Not even with PT Free......... well, maybe a few glitches here and there, but it did work.... I have a theory that there are a LOT of success stories out there, but they are too busy recording to hang out on the DUC and post threads.......

bilco