How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2020, 06:38 PM

Default problem w/ PT 2020 logic sync slave thru ipMidi

Hi guys
setting up a brand new Mac Pro [Catalina 10.15.2] 16 core.
Ive got ipmidi slaving logic 10.5 from PT 2020 HDX
ilmidi is set to loop back.all the transmit sends are configured according to the video I found inline.
also audio is running through Source Nexus AAX plug into a PT aux in track.
frame rate,sample rate[96k], tempo [120] and timecode start all the same
I hit play in PT with click running, logic starts [with its click running] then after exactly one bar logic click track slows way down.
same thing happens when I run logic audio directly out of the Mac usb/optical via OWC TB hub out[96k]
pulling my hair out.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Default Re: problem w/ PT 2020 logic sync slave thru ipMidi

Hi roundbadge -

I tried to reply to this several days ago and received a message that my reply would have to be approved by a moderator, but the reply never showed up - so here's the gist of it.

Having used ipMidi in the past, I've found that it's super-easy to inadvertently create loopback problems or MIDI feedback loops, and even though I'm good with manuals and following instructions, it took a lot more time and effort than I expected to get the ipMidi configuration right for the situation I was using it for - and if I had wanted it to solve a *different* problem, I would have had to configure it differently.

BUT - for getting Logic to chase Pro Tools, I don't even bother with ipMidi.
Since you're on a Mac, you can just enable the IAC bus that's built into Audio MIDI Setup, tell Pro Tools to send MTC out that port (which will look like just another MIDI port to Pro Tools), and tell Logic to sync to the incoming MTC. No third-party software needed.

See if that gets you running correctly. I tried it as an experiment while working on a project, and it was surprisingly easy to get it working.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Re: problem w/ PT 2020 logic sync slave thru ipMidi

My only experience with ipMIDI has been to sync Pro Tools with AMS Neve consoles, but on the off chance this is helpful to you:

If you've exhausted your lines of reasoning, try downgrading to a previous version of the ipMIDI driver. Using an older version of the driver (marked incompatible with my current ver. of macOS) addressed a bunch of issues I'd been having.