Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Who's using which screen/audio capture for recording tutorials and why

Hey Duc's,

I want to start making video tutorials about mixing on my Pro Tools HD rig. Standard stuff, but I need to find a video program, much like they use on the Waves.com site where he gives Tips and Tricks. It has the screen capture as the main window, and a sub window for a secondary video input (iChat type window of my face).

Does anyone use one of these currently alongside their HD rig? How is PT performance altered during screen capture, and how are you recording audio?

As I want to be able to record all audio that I am doing (teaching) constant playback recording to an aux master won't work.

Ideally I could deliver at least 192 MP3 quality audio in stereo so that the sonic difference between EQ / compression could be heard and understood instead of "Yea I guess I hear the difference..."

Any ideas or suggestions are graciously accepted.

Best,
doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Who's using which screen/audio capture for recording tutorials and why

Screenflow by a yard.
Get your demos and see for yourself on your system.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Who's using which screen/audio capture for recording tutorials and why

Snapz Pro X is nice as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 AM

I just did a few for the Sonnox web site and heres what we did.

1. Screen capture for whats happening on the screen using iShowU HD

2. Audio capture for whats happening in the session - out of interface into a laptop recording in peak.

3. Video camera on me talking - I think was just a flip video.

we did some things to synch it all like clapping and also play back of session through studio monitors for audio recording and video to synch... screen capture synched looking at the meters when play started.

during the actual session I had a ear piece in to hear the computer playback but the room monitoring was off so the video part only captured the audio of me talking and the clicks of the mouse and what not.

All 3 were then edited together in FCP I believe.

was a pretty detailed process. not sure about things like screen capture and using a isight camera at the same time in a little window. my understanding is that those little window Picture in Picture things are done in editing.

could be wrong but this is how we did them...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM

+1 for iShowU HD, it's very configurable. There is a free one called Jing that actually works pretty good too.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 AM

As for getting the ProTools audio, hmm, not sure, I have thought about this, but never really tried it. Things like iShow can 'steal' soundstreams using SoundFlower to steal the output of Safari for instance. But am sure it wouldn't work with PT.

Best bet might be to take a mic, get it into PT as well, so all your audio is in PT. Then take and get that signal out of your interface back into the Mac Line Input. Then iShowHD could use that for sound, and if you have an iSight or other camera, it can overlay a video of you if you want.

Then everything would be recorded in sync.

iShow gets by pretty good when other stuff is running, but honestly I can't say just how much of a performance issue you'll run into.

You can download and try it out though.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi,

Snapz pro X

Digital from the 192 into the digital in on the mac to capture the sound

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM

So great ideas all,
Bravo to TimNeilson, because I went to radio shack and bought an optical light pipe cable, took the Digital out of my Rosetta 200 (PT Out) and put it in to the Mac Pro Tower optical/digital in. I haven't tested it yet, but this should allow me to capture audio in the Screenflow of iShow HD program right ? And be sync'd to the screen capture?

Going to get some demo's now!
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Hey, it should work! I have two optical cables from my Mac to the 96, going in and out. One really cool thing I've found is that yeah, Protools output 1 and 2, when set to digital (or analog+Digital) does indeed feed right back into the mac.

I use it to record the output of ProTools, when I'm scrubbing a track, or using the number keys to playback different pitches, which just sounds way better than pitch shifting the file. I then use Audio HiJack Pro, which has a silence monitor, to sit there and record the input of the Mac (which is ProTools outputs 1 and 2) and it will record ProTools!

Works great, since you can't record IN ProTools when scrubbing and stuff like that.

So yeah, it should work fine for you to do so!

Tim
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM

I will give another big +1 for iShowU HD, I love it.

EDIT: I don't recall needing an extra optical cable running from the interface to the computer. I know at one point I used soundflower to grap PT sound however I seem to remember not needing EITHER anymore (I haven't done this in a while). If I'm correct, I think you can just select your interface as your audio input and be done with it. Either way, it should be very easy to get PT into iShowU. :)

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK