Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Re: What are they talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You are not recording thru your monitor path nor using hardware inserts with those outputs so what is the problem really? Please, just tell me again and I may be able to understand
Well I’m sure this has something to do with the fact that I am totally from the world of ProTools HD with a large-format console, although I’ve used logic and even Pro tools LE I think a long time ago.

That, and I’m just trying to mess with this box for the first time, so I am probably missing something obvious.

I couldn’t get it to output any audio at all [Or even for ProTools to go into play without assigning outputs to at least one monitor path.

Also if what we are recording is delay compensated at the converters but what we are listening to is not compensated, there’s a problem potentially, depending on exactly how this works [and they’re being pretty vague about what they say.

I kind of get the feeling that there’s something obvious that I’m just not taking into consideration, but I’m not sure what it is.

On the other hand it’s not unusual for avid to decide to do something weird This causes a problem

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-06-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:28 PM

Sure after PT8 you need to assign something to Monitor Path. But please tell me how it is a problem? Other than you cannot use your monitor path as hardware inserts.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 AM

Not arguing at all. But I think we have to make it super simple for me to get with this whole way of working. I am, after all, a simple duck. Your “ask a question" approach to explaining something is making some sense to me though.

I’d like to use the Omni with a console, integrated into my hd rig as welll as standalone, I guess. But it’s probably designed for people with no console, right? So I should look at it that way to understand the nuts and bolts?

I ask again, is it possible to bypass the monitor section and listen to audio from Pro Tools though the analog outs?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-06-2020, 07:25 AM

I think what you are looking for is on page 38 of the Omni manual - the heading is "HD OMNI without Monitoring."
Old 03-06-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
I think what you are looking for is on page 38 of the Omni manual - the heading is "HD OMNI without Monitoring."
When I choose “none” for both monitor paths it seems like I get no output from the analog outs at all. And nothing registering on the meters either.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:29 AM

Default What are they talking about?

I use the omni quite successfully in my setup. Unfortunately I’m away from it for the weekend and can’t for the life of me remember how I set it up.

Suffice to say I don’t use any of the control functions or mixer on the omni and effectively treat is as another 8 I/O.

I do use outputs 1&2 as my monitor signal but it comes out at line level and bypasses all the other functionality and connects straight to my dangerous monitor ST.

I use the other 3-8 outputs to feed a Burl Vancouver along with 2 other HD I/Os and a 192 to fill the rest of the Burl.

When I get back I’ll take some screenshots and let you know how I have it set up.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 03-07-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
When I choose “none” for both monitor paths it seems like I get no output from the analog outs at all. And nothing registering on the meters either.

I read part of the thread here so please don’t shoot me if I missed it. However if using the mixer and getting no sound; is the problem the fader position and is it backwards?

Meaning for full level the fader is actually pulled down? Vs is all the way up the level is off.

I have my computer optical running into my Omni and have the mixer setup so that I can monitor with or without pro tools active.

Again if I have missed the point I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
I use the omni quite successfully in my setup. Unfortunately I’m away from it for the weekend and can’t for the life of me remember how I set it up.

Suffice to say I don’t use any of the control functions or mixer on the omni and effectively treat is as another 8 I/O.

I do use outputs 1&2 as my monitor signal but it comes out at line level and bypasses all the other functionality and connects straight to my dangerous monitor ST.

I use the other 3-8 outputs to feed a Burl Vancouver along with 2 other HD I/Os and a 192 to fill the rest of the Burl.

When I get back I’ll take some screenshots and let you know how I have it set up.
Thank you. So you are able to get the analog outputs to output audio from a Pro Tools session, while setting both the main and alt monitor paths [in the monitor tab of the Hardware Setup] to "none"?

Do the meters work?

The manual is really wonky in the way it describes things, and it seems to me that someone from Avid Techsupport could chime in here and explain a few things. In looking around, I see that I am not the only person having issues with the setup.

I ask the same question again. Is it possible to play 8 separate time-aligned channels of audio from a Pro Tools session with the Omni, without using the monitor path [e.g. while setting both the main and alt monitor configs to "none"]?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sure after PT8 you need to assign something to Monitor Path. But please tell me how it is a problem? Other than you cannot use your monitor path as hardware inserts.
Are you saying that the box will not function unless you have something assigned to a monitor path, and that is the only way you can "monitor" a Pro Tools session?

What if you want to just play back 8 channels of time-aligned Pro Tools audio, one channel on each Omni analog out, plugged into 8 input channels of a mixing console for mixing? Are you saying that the box will not do that because at least one pair of outputs must be assigned to a special "monitor path" which is not delay compensated?

Best,

mightduck
Old 03-08-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
I read part of the thread here so please don’t shoot me if I missed it. However if using the mixer and getting no sound; is the problem the fader position and is it backwards?

Meaning for full level the fader is actually pulled down? Vs is all the way up the level is off.

I have my computer optical running into my Omni and have the mixer setup so that I can monitor with or without pro tools active.

Again if I have missed the point I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need to apologize, and thanks for trying to help. I do think you are talking about a different thing, though. I'm trying to figure out how to just route audio from Pro Tools [or Logic or whatever] straight to the Omni's analog outputs, without going through the monitor or mixer sections. Kind of just like a regular HD interface.

Thanks,

mightyduck