How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Dynamic Plugin Processing - Only Half of What I Thought it Was

The quick read is..
Dynamic Plugin Processing does not deactivate plugins on audio tracks with no active regions, when the playhead is engaged. Unlike the aux's that do deactivate plugins when not processing audio. The aux's dynamically work great.

Judging by how many reputable outlets speak highly of this feature, I assume it works for most people. I can't get it to work 100% ever on different OS's and many versions of Pro Tools tested.
SO IS THIS A "JUST ME" PROBLEM?

TEST FILE
If anybody wants to perform the same test here is a link to the session file.
Make sure your volume is down before hitting play - 128 tacks of audio can overwhelm the master bus...;-)
128 Track CPU Test Session

PT MANUAL
Dynamic Plug-In Processing:
When enabled, the Dynamic Plug-In Processing option maximizes plug-in counts by dynamically reallocating host-based processing resources as needed. This means that plug-ins only use CPU cycles when they are actually processing audio.

To enable dynamic plug-in processing:
  1. Choose Setup > Playback Engine.
  2. Select Dynamic Plug-In Processing.
  3. Click OK.

I tested with Catalina and High Sierra with:
  • Pro Tools 2020.12
  • Pro Tools 2020.3
  • Pro Tools 2019.12
  • Pro Tools 2019.6
  • Pro Tools 2018.1
  • Pro Tools 12.6 (that is as far back as I can go)

I have videos of the all these new tests (I haven't uploaded, because they play out the exactly the same as the original test, linked below)

The new tests were on a Vanilla install of High Sierra - All tests were done with an 2017 iMac with Pro Tools and iLok being the only software installed. No other plugin's, just the Core Pro Tools plugins.

Either I am missing a specific combination of preferences or this feature does not work on audio tracks the same way it does on aux's. Which would be fine if the manually said that.

Knowing how to allocate system resources is a critical part of recording/mixing efficiently.

LINK TO ORIGINAL TEST
Catalina and 2020.12
https://youtu.be/izsM36eYyDM

This Video shows Dynamic Processing Working...

He is using and HD Native System (maybe the difference is that)
What is the magic sauce here?
https://youtu.be/v9ISARiE2oQ

I am totally stumped....

MANUAL vs WEB MARKETING

The only official reference I can find to this process in the manual is on page 93. Other than that there is no mention I can find on the Avid root website at all. If there is it ranks very low, or it is not being indexed by Google at all. site:avid.com "dynamic plug-in processing"

Dynamic Plug-In Processing Only Works during playback on Aux's -

I hope Avid can fix this and live up to it's press release advertising or again, show me what I am doing wrong...

Last edited by tmuzik; 03-21-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more typo's