Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Default CANNOT get Xpand to work... INFURIATING!!!

I'm on a dual 2-Ghz Intel, 7.3.1 LE w/ M-Box. Installed Xpand! 1.0 from the disc and then the 1.0.1.989 UB Updater. Nothing. Restarted, threw away prefs, nothing. Set Xpand Content Location, restart, again and again, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing. The plug-in is in the Plug-Ins Folder and I can see all the tantalizing instruments in the Plug-In Settings folder, but open a session, after HOURS of installing and re-installing, and all I get is BIG, FAT NOTHING. This is supposedly Digi's play to announce their arrival as a V.I. maker; it's instead making me want to back my truck over my M-Box and throw my HD3 in the friggin gutter.

Any idears?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: CANNOT get Xpand to work... INFURIATING!!!

Wait... you're about to ditch Pro Tools all together just because you can't get one virtual instrument to work? Yeah, that'd be a smart move.

I've heard of several people who have had similar problems, and I know one of them personally. The only thing that worked for him was getting a new installation disk that had the UB version already included.

The update procedure worked like a charm for me though; loaded from the original disk, loaded the UB update and all was well.

You might want to contact Digidesign directly about the issue. I'm sure that their tech support department has dealt with the situation enough times to be able to help you out. They stop by the user's conference on occasion, but you would definitely get better/faster results (and be less frustrated) contacting them directly.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Avid

If you 'Get Info' on the Xpand!.dpm plug-in in your plug-ins folder, does it actually show 1.0.1.989UB as the version?

If so, where, exactly, are you looking for the plug-in in Pro Tools? It should be located on the insert for an Aux Input or Instrument track under RTAS Plug-In>Instrument>Xpand! for a mono track or Multi-Channel RTAS Plug-In>Instrument>Xpand! for a stereo track.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 AM

-It doesn't show a version one way or the other. There is a folder called Xpand.dpm in my plug-ins folder; it doesn't look like the other plugins. Within this folder is Contents -> Info.plist, Mac OS (Folder -> Xpand), Pkginfo, Resources (Folder -> Xpand!.rscs. None of these shows a version when I do 'Get Info."

-As to where I'm looking, I've looked using all possible tracks: mono & stereo, instrument, audio, aux, even MIDI! For each of these, I've looked in multi-mono as well as multi-channel.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help; I've calmed down from yesterday's state of ranting mania...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

We had a customer report a similar issue with Strike: FAQ 23981

Can you please select the Xpand folder (within the Plug-Ins folder) and Duplicate it, then delete the original?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 AM

GENIUS!!!!

It worked! This has made my week. I'm leaving for Hawaii in a few days and was terrified my mobile rig wouldn't be up in time.

Thanks so much. I will walk the Earth and spread the Gospel of Digi. This is a glorious day.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Good deal, thanks for letting us know the results! I'll update that FAQ to include Xpand.