Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Sad thing is it could have been so different. Avid should have released a 2019.1 in January with nothing new except Mojave compatibility, then, while we were all grousing about it, love-bomb us with 2019.2, 2019.3 and 2019.4 each with a bit more of the new stuff switched on, and finally 2019.5 with everything in it. We'd all have been going "this is more like it! New stuff every month!"
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Sad thing is it could have been so different. Avid should have released a 2019.1 in January with nothing new except Mojave compatibility, then, while we were all grousing about it, love-bomb us with 2019.2, 2019.3 and 2019.4 each with a bit more of the new stuff switched on, and finally 2019.5 with everything in it. We'd all have been going "this is more like it! New stuff every month!"
Great solution!

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 04-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Absolutely!

I think a company cannot treat his customers like Avid does, when they are paying a good amount of money for improvements.

Cheers
Maik
Old 04-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That sounds like what a software subscription should be. A steady stream of well tested small releases to fix things or enhance compatibility with an occasional big feature release. Why Avid chooses to hold all the small stuff back so it can all come in one big release doesn't make any sense on a subscription model.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Our solution , years ago, was to lock down our systems at 10.3.8...its rock solid, and no internet or crap on the local stations....hooked to a LAN which has the server which is totally buffered via firewall etc from the outside world.
Once we had that version perfect we have one test rig with the latest stuff, and we're trying to get it as solid as pt10.....pt11 was a liability, worse than useless...PT12 certain versions very stable, but alas no folders.....once we get our test version WITH FOLDERS and working as solid as the pt10 systems, with perfect backward compatability, THEN we will upgrade the whole thing,and more importantly CLAMP IT OFF. but until then we will just test the one station rathe rthan risk our jobs and clients to the ridiculous hamster wheel of OS / PT bug fest....let some other person figure it out, ive got work to do...
Old 04-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
That sounds like what a software subscription should be. A steady stream of well tested small releases to fix things or enhance compatibility with an occasional big feature release. Why Avid chooses to hold all the small stuff back so it can all come in one big release doesn't make any sense on a subscription model.

And is the EXACT opposite of what they told everyone when they switched to the subscription model.

It’s literally what they said would happen. More frequent small releases rather than holding back features and rolling them into one update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
And is the EXACT opposite of what they told everyone when they switched to the subscription model.

It’s literally what they said would happen. More frequent small releases rather than holding back features and rolling them into one update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can you find a screen shot of where they publicized that? lets repost it
Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
can you find a screen shot of where they publicized that? lets repost it
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370166 post #5

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Licensing-FAQ

Q: What are these new Pro Tools licenses all about?
A: On January 22, 2015, Avid announced that Pro Tools will be available as a perpetual license and a monthly or annual subscription. These licenses include an upgrade and support plan that provides access to the latest updates for the duration of the plan. New Pro Tools perpetual licenses come with a one-year upgrade plan included. Subscriptions include access to the plan throughout your subscription. Pro Tools | HD software is only available with new Pro Tools | HDX or HD Native system purchases or as an upgrade.

Q: What is the difference between perpetual and subscription?
A: A perpetual license is a license that does not expire. A subscription license expires after a certain length of time after which you can renew.

Q: Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A: No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners who are not currently on a support plan will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan.

Q: If I have a Pro Tools perpetual license and my upgrade and support plan expires, what are my options if I want to get updates?
A: You will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis
Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan

Q: If I buy Pro Tools software, does it include an upgrade/support plan?
A: Yes.

Q: I have Pro Tools | HD 11, but am not yet on an upgrade and support plan. Why should I upgrade to Pro Tools 12?
A: This upgrade also includes an annual upgrade and support plan, so you'll receive future updates and priority support for one full year, renewable annually. You have until December 31, 2015 to get on a plan for your perpetual license and stay current for the next 12 months.

Q: If my Pro Tools | HD Software upgrade/support plan expires and I want to upgrade later on, what are my options?
A: Pro Tools | HD software customers who let their upgrade plans expire will have an opportunity to get back on a plan. Look for more details coming soon.

Q: Is Pro Tools | HD software available as a subscription?
A: No, not at this time. Pro Tools | HD software is currently only available as part of a full Pro Tools | HDX or Pro Tools | HD Native system purchase or as an upgrade.

Q: What happens if I allow my Pro Tools subscription to lapse?
A. If your subscription has lapsed and you wish to continue using Pro Tools, simply start a new monthly or annual subscription and your license will be reactivated.

Q: What happens if I sell my Pro Tools | HDX or HD Native hardware?
A: Find information on our transfer of ownership policy here or contact Avid Customer Care (select the Registration option if calling).

Q: Why do I need an upgrade and support plan? I rarely need tech support now.
A: While this plan provides technical support, it’s required for access to future updates. The upgrade plans provide 12-months of Pro Tools updates, so you always have access to the latest version. This approach also enables us to deliver more frequent feature updates on an ongoing basis.

Q: How does support in the new Pro Tools offerings differ from previous support included with Pro Tools?
A: Before, Pro Tools included a limited amount of support cases within the first 60 days of owning your product and you would have to purchase feature updates. If you needed additional help, you had to either purchase a support plan or an Avid Support Code (ASC) to get per-incident help for a fee. Our new offerings provide software updates, unlimited web support and either one support phone call per month for Pro Tools or unlimited calls for Pro Tools | HD, for the duration of your plan. For more information, visit the Pro Tools Licensing webpage.

Q: How are we changing the way we release updates and upgrades?
A: In the past, we released major upgrades for a fee, and updates to fix technical issues between major releases at no cost. With this new model, we can provide new features on a more frequent basis. The new upgrade and support plans give you access to every new update as soon as it's available, and you get peace of mind knowing that technical support is always available to you.

Q: Do my plug-ins require a separate upgrade and support plan, and will they ever expire?
A: Your Avid plug-ins are covered by your Upgrade and Support Plan and you will get updates for those plug-ins during the period of your plan. However you can buy perpetual, subscription or rental licenses of Avid plug-ins, so dependent on which license you purchased will depend on whether it will expire or not. Perpetual Licenses do not expire.
If you have third party plug-ins, the developer provides support. Please note that Pro Tools | First will only run plug-ins purchased through the App Store in the Avid Marketplace and are offered on a subscription basis.

Q; Does my upgrade and support plan start from the purchase date or activation date?
A: Your plan is valid for one year from the time you activate your new Pro Tools software. The same applies to Pro Tools users who buy an upgrade and support plan, which also requires activation.

Q: Can I still purchase an Avid Support Code (ASC) for one-time support call needs?
A: Yes, but keep in mind that if you take advantage of the new upgrade and support plans that now come with Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD, you will have access to more support resources and will be less likely to need to purchase an ASC.

Q: Will I have to surrender my old license when I upgrade to Pro Tools 12? Will I lose my Pro Tools 10 license too?
A: You will retain a Pro Tools 10 license for 32-bit compatibility when upgrading to Pro Tools 12. Your old license will need to be surrendered but you will receive a new license bundle for Pro Tools 10 and 12, so you can access older sessions with RTAS plugins as well as the new Pro Tools 12 application.

Q. I have Pro Tools | HD 8—can I upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 12?
A. No. If you're using Pro Tools | HD 8 or earlier software, you're most likely using an older Pro Tools | HD "TDM" system with "blue" interfaces, which can't run Pro Tools | HD 11 and higher software. That said, you can trade in your old system and interfaces towards a new Pro Tools | HDX system, which includes Pro Tools | HD 12 and your choice of Pro Tools | HD Series interfaces, and save up to 40%. Contact your local authorized Avid reseller to take advantage now or get more details here. If you have Pro Tools | HD 7 or 8, you can upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 10 here.

Q. Will there be an Upgrade to Pro Tools HD 12 from Pro Tools + Complete Production Toolkit?
A. Yes, the current Pro Tools HD Upgrade from Pro Tools 9, 10, 11 + Complete Production Toolkit will continue to be available at least through the end of 2015.

Q. Can I use my current iLok with the latest software?
A. An iLok 2 USB key is required for v11 or higher of Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD software, but is not included with upgrade or crossgrade purchases. If you don't have an iLok 2 key, you can purchase one in the online Avid Store.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 04-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Unless their plan was to do major re-coding on the audio engine, wrapped up in the Mojave update, and the 2 goals were so brained in the code that they could not have unspooled the Mojave update from the whole project. It may have seemed ambitious, but they thought they could do it? There’s no way to know what’s going on behind the scenes, unless they tell us. I would be willing to bet that the whole dev team is unhappy about how this 2019 rollout has gone.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:39 PM

couldnt make a 'splash' at a trade show so just moved it forward....