Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-21-2002, 07:24 AM

Default Connecting LE to stereo amplifier

Connecting LE outputs to the stereo amplifier the general volume level of the stereo sinks significantly. The whole thing gets very quiet even when other devices than LE - like for example CD - is selected for listening. When LE is disconnected or off the amplifier "recovers".
Since I am far away from digging the point of balanced connections etc.pp.- Anybody guessing what the reason might be or how a solution could look like?
Old 05-21-2002, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Connecting LE to stereo amplifier

That sounds like an impedance problem.
Do you have several things summed together
on the same inputs?

Or the Digi could be on a different power phase than the stereo. Sometimes outlets in homes are wired on different phases. Power comes in as 230vac two phase and is split into two sets of 115vac single phase circuits.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:01 AM

Are your digi outs 1/4" trs(stereo) to rca?
If so unplug one side at the input end and see if the level comes up. If it does one of your cables is wired out of phase. Roly
Old 05-21-2002, 05:51 PM

There are no other things summed on the same input but as you say: "Sometimes outlets in homes are wired on different phases. Power comes in as 230vac two phase and is split into two sets of 115vac single phase circuits."
This could well be since the building is an old one and LE and stereo are connected each to another socket, just as mentioned. I hope this valuable hint doesn´t hit the case of what I have here.

"Are your digi outs 1/4" trs(stereo) to rca?
If so unplug one side at the input end and see if the level comes up. If it does one of your cables is wired out of phase."

If "rca" means what I know as "chinch" than yes that is how the connection is. I will try your tip!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks a lot guys!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:06 AM

That would mean serious power issue if you dropped both grounds and had a fault on both you would likely be killed. Potential between both could be as much as 220. Ii would check with a meter between the cases Ground loops would be likely there causing one to snip the plugs ground and death would be the result if you got across the high potential if there was noone there to knock you off it. GFI s can be used in this situation though but that is not recomended. you being in berlin might even have a 440 potential the power there is 220v isnt it?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:37 PM

It sounds like you are plugging into one of the tape OUTPUTS on your receiver. You should being plugging into a line level INPUT.

Lyle
Old 05-22-2002, 08:05 PM

The monitor and 1/2 outputs of the the 001 are +4 balanced whereas the input to your stereo is -10 unbalanced. Either get a +4balanced to -10unbalanced converter or use outputs 3-8, which are unbalanced and -10.

This has absolutely nothing to do with AC power.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:22 AM

Thank you all for your good intentions.

STUDIO-DE-ARIEL:
Yes, we got 220V here. ( Unfortunately, it doesn´t mean more "power to the people." [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Lyle:
LE is not connected to amps outputs.

where02190:
Yes, outputs 3-8 have been used for that.

Maybe Roly´s suggestion is pointing to what the reason is. He said:
"If so unplug one side at the input end and see if the level comes up. If it does one of your cables is wired out of phase."

It is a "Y-cable". I disconnected one side and the stereo became louder when I pulled out the other side the level again encreased a little bit to its normal volume.

I got a bunch of these cables. They should be wired all in the same way. Just being curious:
1. Must I assume these cables indeed to be manufactured in a wrong way (= many of my former recordings thus possibly being done with a minor signal then )?
2. - Or could these cables maybe be generally ok but just not properly wired for the certain task between soundcard and stereo?
Or
3. could it be a specific problem because of the amplifier? ( Luxman RX-103 )Before now in another place with LE, another stereo and same cables I wouldn´t hear any levels lowering.

I have the impression that switches inside the amplifier are not of a mechanical kind but rather electronic ones. Could it be that these switches won´t completely interrupt ( so by fault two devices being in circuit simultaneously?)as long as connected stuff is not Luxm.-alike? Say the amplifier eventually beein made to run only with same brands stuff which then could ( supposedly )deal with that amps special switches?

I beg your pardon for making a long story from an inferior topic but I am thinking of using the stereos ( passive ) speakers for long distance monitoring ( if I can name it that way ) on future mastering sessions.
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 09:33 PM

Which connectors on your amp are you connected to? The only way it could lower the volume of other signal sources is if it is connected to a tape(recorder) output or some other line level monitor output.
Lyle
Old 05-25-2002, 04:02 PM

"Which connectors on your amp are you connected to? The only way it could lower the volume of other signal sources is if it is connected to a tape(recorder) output or some other line level monitor output."

Hi Lyle,
it is connected from LE outputs to amplifiers "main in". ( You guys had me reensure about it and really, it is right connected.)

Hello Mattm,

"from what i understand of your posts, all inputs are effected when the 001 is connected to the amplifier. i'm not quite sure how you're connecting the 001 to the amp - you say that you use a Y cable? how so?"

Reading your question I am afraid to have had misunderstood the term of "Y cable". I gathered it would simply mean a cable like it is with two seperate cables ( each for one channel )but that a Y cable just had both cables running together in a single ( plastic-) strip. ( I know, my English must be terrible- sorry for that.)
At its ends again separating into two single connectors.
Such kind of cable is what I meant with a Y cable. ( possibly used wrong termination, though )

I went from Digi outs 7&8 to amps "main in".

As I understand from all the replies I couldn´t do anything about it if the circuits of the house would be actually made in a problematic way.
So what remains sounding like a practicable suggestion to me ( that I could possibly manage somehow if it turned out to be the cause )is:

"this possibility would be eliminated if the amplifier is not double insulated."

Could you please be so kind to tell an electric/electronic idiot what it means? Does it mean that the amp would be too well insulated and that I had to lead some of the amps wire somewhere to a certain ( grounding )connection inside of it?
( Don´t worry about misleading me. Before changing higher voltage connections inside the amp I would describe my plan to a cousin of mine who should know at least about "worst case connections" and warn me if I was going to screw fatal wirings. If it nevertheless had me cought by 220V, in future you might find me making techno music without melody but 280 bpm. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )