Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-18-2002, 12:23 AM

Default monitor stands, any preferences?

So I'm about to buy a new pair of 36" stands and sell the 42". Until recently, the most common model I've seen is the generic black/plywood kind with a 1'X 1' platform on each end, fitted with a hollow beam for a sand landfill.

But, I recently saw a pair that had these little spikes at the base, and if my memory serves me right, the top and bottom platforms (or 1 of them) were triangular shape (?), with a more metallic finish? It also had grooves that held the speaker cable snug behind the stands. I can't recall the brand, but I was wondering if there's one you prefer over the other and why?

I would normally think a stand is just a stand but then again, this is pro audio and there must be a reason for all the different types of stands, just like any other gear... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

thanks for your thoughts.

pk

p.s. anyone in the NY area interested in these 42" Raxxess stands?
Old 05-18-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Re: monitor stands, any preferences?

pk

i have 2 pairs on the ceiling and 2 on the floor
Old 05-18-2002, 11:21 AM

Pk,

I have the triangle type, silver, with the ridge in the back for cables. I believe they have sand in them for weight (kiln dried). Mine came with a pair of Event 20/20s purchased from a friend. I really like em alot. Very sturdy, and strong. I use a little square of no slip rubber stuff that one uses under a rug in between the speaker and stand. The spikes on the bottom keep the stand firmly in place on my carpet.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:28 AM

thanks guys, I think the latter ones are made by Ultimate, who are known for their nice KB stands.
I'll look into those more closely.

s-d-a, wow, you've taken the whole 'surround sound' mixing a bit too far I see... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk
Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 AM

yes about 10k too far
Old 05-20-2002, 03:49 PM

while on the subject of stands, let me ask you guys this...

every article I've read on monitor positioning suggests the 'triangle' method, which is easy to grasp, but also to have the monitors at ear level, so that the mid-point between tweeter and woofer is exactly at ear-level.

Now, is it me or does every pictire I see of those high-end studios (you know, like the ones on the front page of Mix mag) or even semi-pro seem to indicate that the monitors are placed quite a bit higher than 'ear level'! Why so?

Most of the time, they're resting on the bridge of an expensive console desk, or pehaps in an Omnirax configuration, but you can absolutely see that the woofer of those Genelecs or Mackies ar at least 1 or 2 feet above the engineer's ear level.

Just trying to understand...

pk
Old 05-20-2002, 03:57 PM

The Stands are made by a company called Sanus
Old 05-20-2002, 04:36 PM

pk-

i shopped for stands for quite some time and never found what i wanted. my solution was to build my own. home depot sells shelving in many different sizes. i simply bought a few different sizes of the shelving, had them cut it (at home depot) to my specs, then i used wood glue and brackets to put it togeteher. the shelving is laminated particle board, available in a few different color and finishes. my stands are "t" shaped with a large base and the top of the stand fits exactly to the size of my monitors. i now have stands that are exactly what i need, and it cost me less than $35.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
while on the subject of stands, let me ask you guys this...

every article I've read on monitor positioning suggests the 'triangle' method, which is easy to grasp, but also to have the monitors at ear level, so that the mid-point between tweeter and woofer is exactly at ear-level.

Now, is it me or does every pictire I see of those high-end studios (you know, like the ones on the front page of Mix mag) or even semi-pro seem to indicate that the monitors are placed quite a bit higher than 'ear level'! Why so?

Most of the time, they're resting on the bridge of an expensive console desk, or pehaps in an Omnirax configuration, but you can absolutely see that the woofer of those Genelecs or Mackies ar at least 1 or 2 feet above the engineer's ear level.

Just trying to understand...

pk
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm.... nope, they're usually at ear level.

Having worked in some of those studios you "see on the cover of Mix", I can tell you that a Neve 80 series or SSL sits at such a height that the speakers are at ear level, or just a BIT higher, when sitting behind the board. Certainly not a foot or two higher than ear level. Of course this can depend on your chair and personal height, but if you're sitting in such a way as to be able to comfortably reach the board, the monitors are about right.

And of course, the type of monitor can make a difference in this respect. NS10's normally sit on their "sides", IOW, with the long side of the monitor on the overbridge. Gennies sit on their bottoms (long side vertical), ADAM's - it depends - they can work both ways.

Another thing to take into account - a lot of people like to sit, and a lot of people like to stand a good portion of the time. I set up our custom console pretty high because I tend to do both. I have to use drafting chairs to sit at a comfortable height, but everything works well standing OR sitting. Just a personal preference thing, but since it's MY studio, I could take things like that into account when designing / building it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 04:57 PM

here's an old Sound On Sound article that 8MM inspired me to look up... it's a shame it's only the text cos the picture of the stands in the original magazine are really nice..

I have the original issue believe it or not....

http://www.sospubs.co.uk /sos/1995_articles/nov95/diyspeakerstands.html