Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 06:17 AM

Default i lost my ilok

I lost my ilok while moving. I had a Waves Platinum Bundle on it. What can I do? Can I just buy a new ilok or are my authorizations lost forever? Thanks!

Allen
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: i lost my ilok

The "iLok policy" page on the Waves web site states:

"Waves does not offer replacement keys or authorizations for lost or stolen iLok keys. We suggest insuring your iLok key to cover this possibility"

Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 AM

How do you insure your ilok key? Are they talking about Waves insurance or outside insurance? I don't understand why they wouldn't replace an authorization.. it would be so easy for them..
Old 06-02-2005, 06:51 AM

a $40 ilok turns into a $5000 ilok in a matter of minutes. If you were allowed to replace authorisations, everyone would buy an ilok, duplicate their authorisations and sell the ilok for a lot of money. Your ilok is trhe equivalent of your hardware synthesizer. You lose the sunth, you call the insurance. just because its small doesn't make it less valuabel. You don't want to know what I pay a year to insure my wife's itty bitty diamond ring.

Get a police report if it was stolen and you have a little chance. Otherwise you're SOL. As far as waves is legitimately concerned, you may have given the ilok to a buddy.

The first thing I did before loading assets on my iLok is buying Zero Downtime and insuring the little bugger.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 AM

I mean, why wouldn't they be able to just disable the old ilok and transfer the authorizations to a new one? What does the zero downtime thing do? Does it cover lost iloks? Also, the thing is.. the ilok is NOT like a hardware synth because it just has a password on it.. it's not like it contains anything special on it.. just copy protection
Old 06-02-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
The first thing I did before loading assets on my iLok is buying Zero Downtime and insuring the little bugger.
That is a good idea. However, Waves bundles are NOT covered by the Zero Downtime program!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I mean, why wouldn't they be able to just disable the old ilok and transfer the authorizations to a new one? What does the zero downtime thing do? Does it cover lost iloks? Also, the thing is.. the ilok is NOT like a hardware synth because it just has a password on it.. it's not like it contains anything special on it.. just copy protection

1) They cannot disable the old iLok or transfer licenses because you lost it.

2) The zero downtime option is for defective iLoks: the moment you notify iLok.com that you have a defective iLok, they will give you temporary licenses for your plugins to be transferred to a spare iLok. In the meantime, you will have to send them the broken iLok so that they can replace it.

3) Indeed, iLok is not a hardware synth, but when you loose an iLok with expensive authorizations on it, it hurts as much in your wallet as loosing a hardware synth.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM

1. "I mean, why wouldn't they be able to just disable the old ilok and transfer the authorizations to a new one?"

to do this at least the "NEW OWNER" MUST be locked in the internet at ilok.com/waves.com
The prob is that he cannot open account with your ilok, because it´s already registered to another account.

2. "What does the zero downtime thing do?"
www.ilok.com insures against BROKEN and failing iLoks.

3. "Does it cover lost iloks?"
NO.

4. "Also, the thing is.. the ilok is NOT like a hardware synth because it just has a password on it.. it's not like it contains anything special on it.. just copy protection "

"it's not like it contains anything special on it.. just copy protection",
easy words for such a heavy topic, where the whole IP-Discussion and Softwarebuisness suites are
going crazy over software pirating.

Better face it: You can argue about it as much as you want. Neither iLok nor Waves will ever replace lost or stolen iLoks. sorry but this is the truth.
If you lost it, it´s not their problem, if you´re that dumb (sorry, no offense!) and if it was stolen it´s not their problem if you are being so unprepaired.

I really hope you find your iLok.

regs
Old 06-02-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I really hope you find your iLok.

same here. I do feel your pain. Its probably in one of your socks. Thats the safest and most forgotten place.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-02-2005, 12:57 PM

This is a huge reason why I mix analog now. I lost an iLok, too, and when I realized that NO ONE would help me replace my lost assets I decided not to reinvest in something that could be stolen again so easily. Kinda bites, but I don't use iLok plugs anymore. Period. Companies that offer iLok only authorizations don't get my business. I understand- I really do- I just won't trust my productivity to a little blue piece of plastic worth thousands of dollars that can vanish again in half a second.

Not when DIGITAL assets should be easily enough replaced. In my view this system doesn't work, yet, so I won't use it.

Good luck finding your iLok!
Take care,
Chris