Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-30-2002, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Best vocal Mic you guys can recomend

...BTW, if you plan on buying a Europeen mic, I wouldn't wait to long since the USD is dropping big time right now. (That's the reason my priority is US plug-ins at the moment.)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 06-30-2002, 08:39 AM

I've checked alot of them out and it is hard to beat that Rode NTK if you are going direct into Digi for a couple of reasons. One is it has great headroom and the other is it picks up low background noise with is important when recording in the same room as your computer. It sounds great on most vocals and acoustic guitar and has great extended range for capturing the high end with warmth and smoothness. The Blue Dragonfly would be a good one to check out too.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2002, 11:58 AM

Do not take a mic with just one directivity in cardio like the TLM103...
You will be quick disapointed by the proximity effect it results.

The best catch is of course the AKG C-414.

Guillaume.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:46 PM

I am thinking of spending around 1500 dollars on my vocal equipment, that will include a nice pre am i have a mackie mix board but i feel the need for a good pre amp and better mic i currently use the akg C414, i found going direct to my digi rack to be better than from the mackie even with a sm58. what you guys think i could do, i guess my c414 is the only mic i use other than the 58.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:38 PM

Which 414?
Old 06-30-2002, 11:36 PM

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BLUE BABY BOTTLE! $499, THE MOST KICKASS VOX YOU WILL HEAR.

KSM27, 44, ETC IS NASTY SOUNDING, DONT TRUST THE GROOVE TUBES, ETC. AUDIO TECHNICA IS CHEAP SOUNDING AND OKTAVAS ARE GOOD, BUT NOT FOR VOCALS

THAT IS MY 0.2 CENTS, TOTALLY BASED ON SUBJECTIVE OPINION.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:55 PM

Original USA made Groove Tubes MD1A...

You will have to find one used, I have seen them for around $500 - $600... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 07-01-2002, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lobsterboy:
ITS ALL ABOUT THE BLUE BABY BOTTLE! $499, THE MOST KICKASS VOX YOU WILL HEAR.

KSM27, 44, ETC IS NASTY SOUNDING, DONT TRUST THE GROOVE TUBES, ETC. AUDIO TECHNICA IS CHEAP SOUNDING AND OKTAVAS ARE GOOD, BUT NOT FOR VOCALS

THAT IS MY 0.2 CENTS, TOTALLY BASED ON SUBJECTIVE OPINION.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lobsterboy,

have you compared that blue to an AKG C414TLII vocal version and what did you think? the blue is the only mic I've yet to demo. so far I'm leaning towards the c414.

thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 01:15 AM

Well the neuman tlm (Transformer less mic )103 is the one I bought but I listened to neuman u87 recently and it is clearly better at $2700. mostly studio stuff thought the shure x57 x as in I dont remember the letter designation there is a beta version more expensive though but I guess you need those dynamics mics to perform with and the condensers to record clean sounds vocals guitars etc. Guitar Center let me compare the u87 on a female vocalist. We recorded on the digi 001. Compared with Guitar as well. The more money the better the sound theoretically. any way I noticed a difference before the recording (as the drive did its digits) And I cant say the playback was as crisp as the live take in the cans. It might be like the situation where a computer draws a picture line by line like in a mandelbrot set then you save it and its never the same as the line by line when restored but when the recording was rolling
it seemed to enhance the female vocal (the u87. ) The upper midrange as oposed to the 103 that seems to lack this boost. The vocalist said it sounded richer and fuller the u87 any way this could be said in fewer lines by the Anal retentive English buffs But would not be my exact words and many interesting nuances would be lost and unrecoverable. Apperciate the indulgence for the rest of you and I also realize the u87 is more than 999 dollars but the comparison was a few days ago and I wanted to make these facts known. maby i will post it as a topic.
bae sda usa