Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Disc Allocation when transferring session from drive to drive...

I need to move around 40gb of sessions from one drive to another, and have this question on Disc Allocation...

After copying a session from say, drive C to drive F, do I need physically go into Disc Allocation in the new session (on drive F), and change all the tracks from C to F? (I noticed they're still assigned to C).

What would happen if I didn't, and deleted the original session & it's audio files on drive C? Would I lose anything?

thanks, Roy
Old 03-17-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Disc Allocation when transferring session from drive to drive...

I'm pretty sure the first time you launch that particular session, and PT notices that the files are located in a different spot, it will ask you if you want to automatically change the location tag. Just click on OK or whatever, and you should be all set.

I don't have PT right in front of me so forgive my lack of detail.

Does this sound right to anybody?

BTW: Did you get my email Roy?

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 03-17-2003, 01:49 PM

Roy

I always recommend that you never copy session with Explorer.. always use Save Session Copy In... and check to copy media files.. this will make sure that all files (no matter where they are) are copied to the new location.. and the disk allocation is set to the new location.

Using Explorer to copy opens you up to the possibility you could miss a sound file accidently ... and as you discovered.. the disk allocation still points to the original location. However, if you deleted the original files.. when you load the session it should use the copied files.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-17-2003, 02:07 PM

Rail, let me ask you this...
I went ahead last night and began simply copying sessions (using Windows) from drive to drive. Once in the new drive, I opened each one to 'disc allocation' and physically changed the drive letter on each track.
You think this will suffice for these sessions? I will begin 'save session copy in' from this point.
thanks, Roy
Old 03-17-2003, 02:09 PM

Yes.. new audio now recorded to those tracks (or created with AS plugins) will follow the new disk allocation.

BTW you don't have to do it track by track.. Alt + click on any track in the Disk Allocation dialog to select all tracks.. then set the new allocation.

Rail
Old 03-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Great...saved me a lot of time...thanks very much. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 02:38 PM

Rail, if you're still there, let me ask you one more Windows related question, please...

Say I have a copy of the same session on each of 2 drives, and I delete one of the sessions. It is now in the Recycle Bin, but I don't 'remove trash' just yet, while I open the session that's still on one of the drives. Well, isn't it impossible at this point for Windows to access the Audio files that are in the Recycle Bin?
Given that I've only left the session in the Recycle Bin to ensure the remaining session will open intact?
thanks, Roy
Old 03-17-2003, 03:37 PM

Pro Tools can't access audio files in the Recycle Bin. Even if you tried to point to missing files in the Recycle Bin in the Open File dialog.. it won't be allowed.

Rail