Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Official Mojave support in 2019?

UPDATE: I have gotten Pro Tools to run in Mojave. Thanks to Darryl Ramm's help!

Last edited by jasonkalman; 02-11-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Thanks for the info, but I'm hoping the resolution happens more like in a couple of days or at most a couple of weeks, not sometime this year. Yikes!
I have replied to your other thread. You would likely make much more progress if you focused on what is going on with your system rather than assuming it’s because Mojave is not officially supported. I have not found any posts here where you give clear info what you are doing or ask for clear specific help on your HDX driver install issue. Many folks are running Pro Tools HDX on Mojave including with a TB3 expansion chassis like you.

Avid has reported issues with small IO buffer performance on Mojave, which I assume is one of the holdups here for official support.

But please just whining and get focused on fixing your actual problem.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Mojave ?

Avid made an announcement at NAMM that 2019 will support Mojave, so it's coming soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Hi Jason

The problem was not really that I think you were whining per-se (and it does not matter what I think anyhow).. or that I think there is not stuff to complain about.... but I wanted to get you to focus on trying to solve your problem. Especially when I think I knew what the cause was... and you did, and that got you going. But again, you have new problems and just saying you have them will not help you. Look around, work through standard troubleshooting, and esp. try disabling hyperthreading and testing with no third party plugins (quit unexpectedly gets me to suspect plugins) installed etc. and if still stuck start a new thread, identify your exact problems, exact error messages and troubleshooting steps you have tried. It’s your call but there is a bunch of fairly standard stuff to work through, I would not assume a problem is Mojave related until you try all that and then ask for help here and give other folks a chance to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Darryl, Apologize if you thought I was whining. That was not my intent, but in retrospect I can see where you would think that. Pro Tools is working in Mojave. But I am still having to save almost after every edit because when I freeze tracks, PTs will sometimes quit unexpectedly, which is frustrating. I also get error messages that state I am maxing out my system and to increase buffer size, etc. That is extremely frustrating since I am running on an HDX, Omni, I/O combo with a brand new iMAC Pro, 10 Core, 64 gig ram with 512 buffer and only about 12 tracks, most of which are already frozen. How is that even possible? I suppose it goes back to Mojave not being officially supported yet....at least I hope that is what it is. Pro Tools is barely using my 10 cores, when I inexplicably max out. For me this highlights the urgency for PTs 2019 to finally come out and address these glaring issues.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi Jason

The problem was not really that I think you were whining per-se (and it does not matter what I think anyhow).. or that I think there is not stuff to complain about.... but I wanted to get you to focus on trying to solve your problem. Especially when I think I knew what the cause was... and you did, and that got you going. But again, you have new problems and just saying you have them will not help you. Look around, work through standard troubleshooting, and esp. try disabling hyperthreading and testing with no third party plugins (quit unexpectedly gets me to suspect plugins) installed etc. and if still stuck start a new thread, identify your exact problems, exact error messages and troubleshooting steps you have tried. It’s your call but there is a bunch of fairly standard stuff to work through, I would not assume a problem is Mojave related until you try all that and then ask for help here and give other folks a chance to help you.
Thanks Darryl,
I haven't often posted here, I hope to post more often now that I am back trying to finish up some projects and become a better contributor to the avid duc community. I hope my voicing some frustrations doesn't come off as necessarily wanting help. The error messages and track freeze issues are minor nits. I was just commenting about them without any thought for assistance. I don't see them as show stoppers, just nuisances. I often view Pro Tools as the DAW that has the most potential to be the best. It has the largest Pro user base and has the resources to really make the software bulletproof. With that said, Apple's OS releases don't help any software manufacturer including Pro Tools to make their software bulletproof. It seems they always have to keep up with what Apple and Windows are changing while at the same time adding features to help us users. A professional audio engineer once told me that once you find a setup that is solid, don't upgrade unless you absolutely have to. It makes sense. If you find an OS and Pro Tools version that works don't change it. Although my recent iMAC Pro purchase doesn't allow me to go back to High Sierra (I don't have a High Sierra backup) I've made Mojave "work" Hopefully PT 2019 is solid with Mojave and I can keep it for a long while. I will admit, the subscription model that PT's has incorporates encourages downloading the latest software to get your money's worth, which can be frustrating if the new version has unforeseen or unaddressed issues. It also contradicts the advice the pro offered. Perhaps waiting a few months before upgrading is the way to go in the future. Thanks for responding to my posts and for your help. Hopefully I can return the favor someday!

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 02-12-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM

It doesn't hurt to agree with both sides of the story -- at home I have the latest and many times unsupported configuration, but when I go on the road my trusty old HD3 is still running PT 8.1.1 on OSX 10.6.8

... and I remember it like yesterday (by saying that, now I'm officially old)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It doesn't hurt to agree with both sides of the story -- at home I have the latest and many times unsupported configuration, but when I go on the road my trusty old HD3 is still running PT 8.1.1 on OSX 10.6.8

... and I remember it like yesterday (by saying that, now I'm officially old)
JFreak,
Well said. You have both configurations new and legacy. The legacy is rock solid and you know you can trust it no matter what during a pro session, while enjoying the latest versions that come out with the inevitable crashes and issues when they don't matter as much.
cheers,
jason

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 02-15-2019, 11:00 AM

UAD just announced that are now supporting Mojave with their latest version....
Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Smoke signals
Mojave
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
no probs firing up the FAX machine now
I actually have one in a bedroom we use as a storage room. Can't be used though as my phone service is digital and the machine requires an analog phone connection. Believe it or not some businesses here in the US still use a FAX machine. A local pizza place has one for taking orders.

QAPLA!