Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-02-2004, 01:26 PM

Default SCSI....SATA or Firewire with HD3 accel on G5???

Good evening Gentlemen!

I'm new to the DUC and thought I'd kick of with a bit of a Question about storage.......

SCSI, Firewire or SATA on a dual 2ghz G5running HD3 Accel??

I've only used SCSI drive bays with our Mix systems..just wondered what real world opinions were!!!

Is SCSI still the way to go...or has SATA taken over.

My apologies if the topic has been beaten to death already...hadn't had a chance to do a search yet?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: SCSI....SATA or Firewire with HD3 accel on G5?

I've been using SATA Raptor 10K drives, and they're just as powerful as my SCSI Atto/15K drive. I can get upwards 60+tracks without a glitch. I'm not using Pro Tools though, I've got Logic/Motu HD192. I plan on upgrading to the HD2 Accel/192. I'm assuming you should get just as many tracks.

Dean
Old 07-02-2004, 06:08 PM

For me currently portability is not an issue, so I went the innexpensive route and put an extra IDE drive in my G4. It has not given me any problems. My largest sessions are just over 40 tracks.
In my old rig I had a pair of the 15k RPM cheetah's. They did "feel" a bit faster when hitting the start button on large sessions, but heck - they cost about $500 each for about an 1/8th of the storage I get from a $150 IDE drive so I decided I could live without them - not to mention the extra PCI slot I gained!
I have not used the SATA drives in my PT rig (because my MDD dual G4 does not have SATA) but I have used them at work in PC workstations and, while I was skeptical of them at first, have been very impressed.
Given the cost difference, If I were in your shoes I would pick up a SATA drive and put it through the paces. If it fails to meet your expectations, then spend the extra for the SCSI card and drive(s) and use the second SATA for extra data storage/shuffling room.
Lots of people use firewire, but I am afraid of it for an only source, good for portability and relatively cheap. I think mine balked on me after about 36 tracks when I was intentionally trying to make it break in testing.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi guys,

agreed with tvent. I've used internal ATA/IDE internals with great success. I've found them to be more reilable than SCSI and much, much, much. (did I say much?) more reliabel than firewire. I've had more than one firewire drive lose it's mind (and everything on the drive) due to the way they work. Apparently they don't catalog the disk info until you give it the eject/unmount command. Not a great thing if you ever accidentally power down or pull the wrong fireware cable. Even mighy Disk Warrior can't help you if that happens. Internal drives are much more stable by the simple fact that they are permanently mounted.

Use the firewire drives for backup and moving files around, but if you must use one, I recommend the LaCie drives. The biggest problem I've found in firewire are the crap enclosures the cheaper drives have. The physical connector is awful in cheap drives.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 PM

Is that 60+ tracks total, or per drive?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:26 AM

I only have one 10K SATA, so my experiences have only been with the one, but you can push these drives much more, than an IDE. The only problem, which isn't really a problem is that they come in 2 sizes, 36.7GB and 74. I've tried IDE, SCSI, Firewire, and SATA is definitely the way to go.

Dean
Old 07-03-2004, 11:14 AM

Hmmm....I keep hearing scary things about firewire and tools
Old 07-03-2004, 12:43 PM

Here is an article comparing Ultra 320 SCSI with SATA and Firewire. Not much of a difference between SATA and SCSI considering the huge price difference.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard35.html

Since the G5 has SATA onboard, unless you need portable storage I would go with the WD Raptor 10K SATA drives.

Hitachi have a 250 gig SATA drive and Maxtor just announced a 300 gig SATA drive. I am sure the WD Raptor SATA drives will be available in bigger sizes soon as well.

Some good SATA performance info is at http://www.barefeats.com/hard38.html

You can squeeze an extra three SATA drives into the G5 using the Swift Data 200 mounting system (see http://www.barefeats.com/swift.html)
Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM

Les get real about firewire, many people use firewire hard drives no problem. Most of the drive related issues are either with directory corruption just like any other drive, or out of date firmware. The great thing about firewire, you can chain drives, hot swap drives and the firewire cases use standard IDE drives inside, so they are cheap. I work in a studio where clients bring in their own drives, and firewire is really the only affordable option for them. For the most part it works and I do sessions every day on different drives with no problem.

That said, there are issues with certain models of macs and those problems tend to occur when you do things like add all sorts of drives, cd burners, backup drives and dv convertor boxes etc to the same chain. All it takes is one device to not be fully compliant and the whole ball of wax goes down. I know because that is how I work. I pile it on and guess what, it usually works fine. I currently have one or two hard drives chained off one built in port, and off the other I have either a chain of a CDR, DVDR and AIT2 drive which by the way is on a 16 foot cable, or I attach my dv deck and remove the CDR chain. I would like them all to work together, but it is difficult primarily because many dv convertors do not fully comply with firewire standards. But on G5's you have FW 800 which is a little faster and uses the same drives inside the case as FW400. if all you need is a couple internal drives, go with serial ATA, but if you need to hot swap and do not want to pay the cost of high end scsi, firewire is the way to go. And don't be fooled by high end brand names, if you really believe that the case and bridge board are better than that is the reason to buy one drive brand over another, the drive itself is probably one of several common brands and they all seem to work or not work equally.